• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

any one ever fix a tv?

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my 55" vizio quit working. turned it off, then a few hours later turned it back on. no picture, but the power indicator light comes on and then dims like usual.

i havent tried a flashlight test. looking more for maybe what replacement part i should try first?

i assume the main power board is fine since it powers on. and i need to replace the backlight board/ led driver. assuming they are the same.

seems to be a common issue with these tv's

model number :E550i-B2E
serial number :LWZJPPDQ4301643

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I did some research recently. I went online and youtubed. In my case I have ccfl [flourescent] lighting and didn't find a tutorial applicable for me. However there was quite a few for led back-lighting and the diagnostics. You could start there.
PS; If one led burns out all of them don't work, like some christmas lights. There is a fairly easy way to fix and that vid should show up near the top.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
its definatly not mute display. i tryed the flashlight test and can see the "no signal" in the center of the tv. so atleast the led's are good, i just need to replace the backlight module. thankfully its only like 50$

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Sounds reasonable for the parts. I looked into fixing a Panasonic 52" a few years ago for someone but hers was partial picture that worked fine until the unit heated up...turned out to be a part of the circuit that was not replaceable so it was, technically, a disposable TV if that became a problem.

I was able to get the picture to restore by squeezing the upper left corner of the display...but I wasn't about to stand there all day squeezing her screen so she could watch Dr Phil or any of the other mindless programs...lol.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so my other tv that i plugged in for the mean time decided to not want to turn on. well itll turn on and flash "emerson" then quickly dissapear and turn off. im not ever turning it off, becuase it finally stayed on after turning it on like 40 times.

pretty sure its related to the other tv, seeing that they were plugged into the same outlet, and my power keeps randomly iether going out on a few random outlets, and coming back on when it feels like it. doesnt matter if i flip the breakers. and sometimes when i turn on the microwave the lights will dim and the microwave dim will get quieter for a few seconds.

not sure if i should be worried about a house fire or not.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
If you have a breaker switch panel that is supposed to kill power before it overloads. I would try a different power bar or outlet to see if there is possibly something wrong with the power bar or outlet.

If this is on a long extension cord with many things plugged in you might be exceeding the limitations of that outlet...in that case...check the extension cord to see if it is heating up...that would be your weak link and could be a fire hazard.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Check your outlets. On some the wire is pushed into a hole. These can get loose over time and cause heat and fires. If the wires are wrapped around a screw check that the screw is tight.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like some serious electrical problems in the house. I'd start looking before risking a potential fire. Of course, I've seen some pretty sketchy wiring that didn't burn anything. How old is the house? What size service into the breaker box (main breaker should say 100 amp or 200 amp on it).

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
its definitely not just one outlet, like for instance its a 3 story place, the garage is at the bottom, the middle floor has bedrooms, and living room/kitchen upstairs. the tv and fish tank and lights upstairs will flicker, as well as stuff in the garage. but it doesnt happen in the bathrooms, and thankfully the fridge is unaffected.

i did notice that the flickering only happens when it is raining outside, and then my roof started to leak. told my landlord, and currently have a blue roof with tires on it, while i wait for the roofing crew to show up.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
That's probably better than having the wiring outdated or unable to handle more than a few appliances...

It's funny but I didn't recognize the brand name you mentioned because I haven't looked at new TVs for quite a while...but as I was watching the first season of the Homeland series (circa 2011) the monitors they used in the CIA office were marked "Vizio"...

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i think the apartments were built in the 1970s so the electrical isnt bad. ive never blown a breaker by adding too much stuff to an outlet.

at this point im not sure if ill buy another name brand tv. my buddy said he just bought a roku 4k 55" for 380$ at walmart. that would be like a 150-200$ tv on black friday or cyber monday. if i only got 2 years out of it like my vizio then whatever. and after talking to alot of my buddys they tell me that there name brand tv's have all died long before the cheap knock off units. plus they dont feel bad about putting the cheap beater tv's in bad locations, like a shop or the bathroom.

i remember when 55" flat screens were like 4 grand.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The little Roku boxes work pretty good, I don't know if they would want to put their name on junk.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
I'd say either you or the landlord need to bring in an electrical inspector NOW! rather than later. Could be Life- Safety issue. Not normal and better safe than sorry.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals