• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 Ford Ranger XLT Ext Cab 5 sp V8 swap

67chevl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I purchased a 1994 Ford Ranger XLT Ext Cab 4X4 (its a lovely plum color with lavender pinstriping :headbang:), 5 sp manual, 4.0 6cyl.

The truck is in great shape other than it sat for a couple years and it's looking like the rings are getting a lot of blow by from not seating. I have two brothers that work at Novak and have done several engine swaps and built some Jeeps.

I want the 302/5 sp. manual swap and not interested in anything else

After reading a lot of the posts here (there are several different opinions in the posts). From what I have read, my truck is about as good as it gets for a V8 swap having the ext. cab, 4.0 6 cyl, 5 sp manual and 4x4. My question is this...

1- Are the 94-95 Mustang 302's the best year FI 5.0 to get and will be the easiest to adapt to my truck?

2- Will the 5 sp manual I have bolt up and will it be strong enough? It has an issue now and I am pulling it to rebuild it. As to weather I use it or sell it for something different will be determined.

As for the rest of the stuff I can work it out depending on what I use for an engine and trans. 96-98 Explorer headers?, my power steering, I can adapt an electric fan in, my radiator is clean, I can relocate the oil filter, my fuel pump is fine and I will install a regulator if needed. My transfer case is on good condition.

The engine I have runs fine it just blows smoke which I suspect is from the rings sitting, I haven't done a compression test yet and have installed new plugs. I have a couple things to do yet to see if I can get the rings to reseat but ultimately I would like the 302 in the truck.

Any advise or comments are appreciated.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'll let someone else answer the "which 5.0 is best" question. Your transmission will not bolt up, so you either need the M5OD-R2 from a V-6 or 5.0 F-150 or the ZF-5 5 speed. Your transfer case will also NOT bolt up to either of those, so you will have to go with a full size T/C. As you can imagine, this all cascades into a bunch of other drive-shaft, crossmember, etc. modifications. Just so you know before you dive into it.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
I was thinking about this eventually. ZF5 will take way more abuse and it has a granny low first gear. If you can find a 88?-97 F250 or F350 w/ 302, 5 speed, and 4x4 that will be 90% of the swap.

I can also add that the ZF5 on 95-97 trucks can handle more power. I think close to 500hp.

http://classicbroncos.com/tech/zf-5-speed-manual-transmission-guide

67chevl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Swap

Thanks for the info so far. I'm okay with the cascading effect, I just want to know what to get so that it will fit. I can get whatever adapters I need three Novak.

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hands down, the 5.0 Explorer EFI/Ignition is superior to the 'stang but the V8 Expo PCM is going to expect to see a 4R70W auto trans on the end of the wiring harness. No OEM 5.0 Expo's with manual's were ever made.

You can get a tune for the PCM that eliminates the auto trans, but at a price.

So to the FEAD on the Expo 5.0 is most likely the best option -- much more compact than the other options and as fast as space goes away with a V8 Ranger, a very good idea.

The heads and cam from the 5.0 Expo's are pretty darn good too.

The heads, cam and EFI and ignition in the V8 Expo's make over 200 hp, numbers not found with most of the 302 Mustangs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals