• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

02 3.0 Ranger + '96 5.0 Explorer = FUN! (or so I hope!)

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Make sure its #1 TDC on the compression stroke, otherwise it'll be 180* out...

SVT

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Exactly so. While I cannot see how, perhaps I managed to get the cam syncronizer timed to #6 rather than #1.

I'm positive I installed the timing chain/gear set at TDC. Rolled the engine over a couple times and verified the timing marks lined back up. Installed the cam syncro and then the oil pump drive and pump. Still, folks are often sure of the impossible so its time to go back and revisit the basics.

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Never got the 1st 5.0 to run right, essentially replaced the complete fuel injection and ignition systems without success. Fuel economy was disappointing, it picked up a worsening miss and fading performance so I swapped in a used '96 5.0. 80K miles on the engine, all I did was a fresh set of bearings and oil pump along with a bit of clean up.

Haven't done a postmortem yet but I suspect a problem with the cam itself or the lifters. Did find a heavy smear of metallic paste in the bottom of the front sump. Rear sump was clean.

While I had the engine/trans out, took the opportunity to dig into the 1/2 accumulator. As expected, found a broken lower spring. No idea what color the broken spring was, can't find an upper yellow one listed either. Installed a standard white/pink pair as a repair, greatly improved the 1st to 2nd shift.

Never liked the Ford Racing Parts dual sump -- too deep at the rack and pinion unit, too wide at the left down pipe. Used a stock steel Expo 5.0 rear sump pan, modified at the front of the sump to better clear the cross member. The pan gave me fits while brazing the cuts/splices. The steel was cracking in places I never even put a torch to so once I got it liquid tight, I opted to not do any cleanup of the brazes. Might not be exactly pretty but it fits well above the rack and pinion, at the cross member and at the down pipe. Did have use the FRP dual sump oil pickup.

Above the rack and pinion:

Behind the cross member:

As the oil pan, never liked the fit of the Expo 5.0 fan shroud either. By the time I had the 5.0 sitting in the Ranger's engine bay with all the clearances needed, the fan interfered with the top of the shroud and the shroud was still higher than the radiator. Noticed that the fan opening in the 3.0 shroud was much higher in the shroud so I trimmed 7/8" off the leading edges of the shroud to clear the thicker 5.0 core and 1/2" off the right (passengers side) lower mounting tab. As modified, the 3.0 shroud fits quite well.

The spunk is back into the Ranger, now to see where my fuel economy ends up.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Good progress. Let us know what you find on the old motor...

SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals