• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Whats my best bet, simplest 302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey folks, don't know much about v8 swaps, did a search came up with a few answers, just wanted to get some insight from folks who have done the swap.

Plan is to swap a 302 into a first gen, looking to find what I can get a 302 from that will make the swap the easiest, and have as little as electronics and wiring as possible. Definitely carb'd obviously, I kept seeing references to the Duran park II ignition models are good to use?

What year and vehicles would be best to get the motor trans from? Wanting to stay automatic, So is the c6/c4 a reliable, and strong trans?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
EFI is not as difficult as it seems. What year first gen? An explorer motor would be the latest greatest of the 302's, with the tightest FEAD....

SVT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Don't have then truck yet, so 83-92. Looking into an 88 currently.

I don't want EFI. I want less wiring. Not more. Don't need a million horsepower or 20 mpg. I have a car for commuting. Main purpose of this truck will be offroading. Getting fire wood from the bush, light trails, etc.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
If offroading is this vehicle's purpose, then EFI is your only choice. Carbs do not do well offroad, especially in off camber situations. But, in response to your questions, mallory makes a good setup thats independent, and only requires 3 wires between the box and dizzy. I've heard of HEI conversions where only 1 wire is needed, but can't confirm that as I've never used that type of ignition...

SVT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm doing carb. You won't convince me otherwise. Holley avenger carb will work fine offroad.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Another option for offroad carburation is propane. Propane is sold everywhere and a 20lb tank can be used as a jerry can with the right adapter hose. It won't be cheap if done right but with enough research can be done mostly diy. Propane can take high compression so that old 60's big block can be pulled out of the corner of the barn and put to use.:icon_twisted:

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, don't think I wanna get into propane. Not at this point in time anyways.

I may have a 302 from a 72 gran Torino I can use.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
i used a 302 from an 81-f150 with a 2bbl carb from a 70 f150. try to keep it simple. i used a manual trans from a 89 f-150 4x4. and i used a points dizzy. worked ok for what i did.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok, so im pretty sure ill be able to use the 302, and (im assumings its a C4?) trans from the gran torino we have sitting at my brothers place, now, since this is out of a car, does anyone know if the trans is different than a truck trans? as ill want to add a transfer case obviously.

will i have to modify the trans or will a Tcase from a f150 work on it without mods? anyone know?

im trying to do some research, not coming up with a ton of info

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You will need to get an auto with transfer case or one that had a transfer case.
To retrofit automatic for 4x4 is complete tear down, it is not just swapping tail shafts like a manual trans.

New automatics need computer control, so explorer V8 auto/transfer case wouldn't be an option for you, your best bet all around will be a 302 with auto from an old F-150 4x4, pre-computer.
Transfer case is a little wider but will fit, I think it(engine and trans) needs to be moved about 1/2" over.
You could get C4 adapters for 302 engines, so C4 w/transfer case might be an option, less mods, and as long as you are not going to push it to the limits it should last you just fine.............until it doesn't, lol, no crystal ball here.

'88 Ranger could have a C3(last year) or A4LD, A4LD was the first trans that need a computer, these started in '85

This covers alot of 1st gen swap info: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/V8Conversions.shtml

HEI distributors are better than pretty much anything old or new, 1 wire, 2 if you want a tach :)

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
+1 on the HEI setup. I bought one for my mom's Mustang, $100, for everything including the distributor, which was awesome since I lost the original one.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
awesome. thanks so much guys. Get paid tomorrow, so if the 88 im looking at has a good frame, ill most likely be buying it. then all i need to find is a trans/tcase from an F150 to fit the 302 i have.

after that, its all fun and games!

gsp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
Find a C-4 out of an early Bronco. They will be mated to a Dan20 case (make sure its the 4hi/lo/N/2hi case. Some were just 4hi/2hi) and will be tough enough for anything you will be doing. I went with a C-6 out of a 84 F-150, but I also lucked out. Advance Adapters was the only ones with a adapter to the Dana20 (it was around 800.00). I had to have the 31 spline output. (4WD C-6)and had to cut about an inch off of that to make work. It bullet proof, but its also a HP pig (Im pushing around 425 out of my stroker). It also take a starter off a 91 (high torque) The stock starter for my 69 block would short out against the header and wouldn't shut off. For the 20 I had to build my T-case mount (I used early Bronco mount, turned the angled pieces upside down, mounted to the frame then added another 6" plate to each side, and sat the saddle mount on that, Bolted together).

Like I say, it works and its bullet proof, but can be a booger to make all work together (I did mine back in 2000, when there wasnt a lot of V-8 swaps around.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If I could find an early bronco I'd be building one haha. Never gonna happen.

I want to ideally Run an atlas transfer case as well. If I use the 302 I have, and find a c4 from a 4x4 that will mate up, I can get AA to send me an atlas that will work. That's the plan at this point anyways.

Truck I had planned on getting fell through, guy said frame was good, it was a mess. Damn.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals