• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

trying to figure out the best donor 5.0

MikeInARanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey everyone first post here. I just picked up a heavily modified 94 4.0 ext cab 2wd prerunner AT. The A4LD is barely hanging in there, slips in lower gears when cold and overdrive is gone. Instead of replacing the trans I would like to throw in a 5.0 and I'm just trying to figure out the best donor vehicle. Trying to keep it smog legal here in CA. I've had my eyes on a 95 mustang gt I found on craigslist because I wanna use the T5 and also avoid dealing with the p.a.t.s. on newer explorers. I've read enough about exhaust manifolds,oil filter relocation, motor mounts, crossmember relocation, and setting up the clutch.

What modifications will need to be done to the two-piece driveshaft in order to mate it to the t5(yoke splines driveshaft length) The previous owner said the 8.8 was at 4.10. has 33inch tires

From what I have read the wire harnesses for the 94and 95 is a pain in the a$$ to set up without a special manual. Is the frankenharness possible? and will it smog?

I have big plans for this ranger and could use all the help I can get. Thanks in advance.-mike

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Your biggest issue will be Calif smog
Your '94 4.0l emissions levels must be met regardless of engine size, from what I have read, when you change stock engine size you must pay for an inspection and test BEFORE you can take truck in for smog test.
I would check the cost of this inspection and cost of re-inspection if needed, so you know whats ahead as far as getting it back on the road.

MikeInARanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Your biggest issue will be Calif smog
Your '94 4.0l emissions levels must be met regardless of engine size, from what I have read, when you change stock engine size you must pay for an inspection and test BEFORE you can take truck in for smog test.
I would check the cost of this inspection and cost of re-inspection if needed, so you know whats ahead as far as getting it back on the road.
So I would imagine the larger displacement would put out bigger numbers as far as smog goes. As it is now my 4.0 has been hacked up, the previous owner cut all the vacuum lines to emissions equipment and gutted the cats.. check engine light is stuck on always...it passed last month so i guess he hot smogged it. Dont have to worry about it for two years but the trans wont last that long its mainly going to be used in the dunes. Just dont wanna deal with a trailer. Dont have one lol

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Odd it passed with CEL on, most states just send you on your way if CEL is on, won't even test vehicle.

A newer model V8 engine with EEC-V OBD2 computer and all emission controls installed would probably have better numbers, lower emissions, than the '94 4.0l, but............
From what I have read if you change the VIN IDed engine size, a 4.0l in this case, Calif. requires private party inspection you pay for and they issue you a certificate which is needed to get it tested.
This is a "road worthy" inspection as well as emissions because you are basically talking about a Customized vehicle.

What you might look at is doing a 4.0l SOHC swap, 207HP, Explorer V8 is 215-220HP
I don't think this would require inspection since they are the same displacement
VIN code X is the 4.0l OHV 160HP
VIN code E is the 4.0l SOHC 207HP

But I would check that first, if this would require the same inspection then V8 would by the way to go, "there is no replacement for displacement", lol.

Early 4.0l SOHC engines had timing chain issues, Explorers('98+) and Rangers('01+), engines pretty much had to be pulled to replace parts, the new parts fixed the problem.

MikeInARanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Im not sure how it was smogged actually but im guessing it wasn't legal. Theres no smog equipment in the truck now. I did some reading up on the emissions stuff and it looks like I would have to jump through some serious hoops to legally drive this thing on highway with pretty much any engine swap. Im willing to give it a try and if I cant smog I guess I'll have a kick a$$ beach toy with efi v8. Still trying to find the perfect donor. I dont see as many 2wd v8 explorers around here as there are mustang gts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals