• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco II body swaps... What challenges are there?

Lariat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
When life is passing you by, downshift!
Its an 85 that was in a rollover. I don't want to see it go, and would preferably like to see it saved. The body is 100% junk. Well, minus the passenger fender. What challenges will I face? Ive body swapped a full size ford truck, but didnt know if there were any differences Id run into. Thanks ahead of time...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well, I'm told the body is heavy. And it's cold out side. Finding a couple people to help lift it might be a challenge.

I saw somewhere some pictures of a BII being body swapped. They got a pair of cherry pickers, a pair of 2x4s, and a pair of what looked like car tie-down straps or tow straps.

The boards were run through the wheel wells, the straps were hooked around the ends of the boards, running length wise along the vehicle, then the cranes were used at the middle line to lift the body. Looked pretty easy.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you want to get the second gen dash 89+ would already have it installed... but you also get the different front clip. Keep in mind if you want to run stock bumpers the bumper mount for a first gen is integrated in the frame rails, second gens mount differently with brackets.

If you want to go fuel injected 86+ being set up for it may be more ideal. But you already have the wiring you need in the truck you have.

You can always "make it bigger" if you have to but manual trans trucks have a bigger hole in the floor from the factory for the shifter(s) than the automatic ones.

I do not have a clue about the legalities of swapping vins... probably be easier to get a shell that has a good title.

I have seen Ranger cabs put on BII frames too. There was a pic of a first gen extended cab in a gallery I can't find anymore. The wheel wells had be built into the back of the cab but it came out like a really cool Sport-Trac.

Ever since your little adventure I have been mulling if it would be better to put a different body on what you have or put the good parts you have on a different BII.

Last edited:

Lariat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Thanks for the replies guys. I figured it would be heavy, just didn't know what other issues I'd see or run into. Thanks for the replies!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
here's an idea.. id actually like to do myself.. vw bugs have a slightly shorter wheelbase but i thought it would be cool to build a haggard bug on a b2 chassis. or even find one of the kit car bodies and Zeus one on top

Lariat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Cool idea, but I'd like to return to the B2.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals