• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2nd gen Explorer 4.0 OHV ok for swap ?

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sorry if this has been discussed. I have to work later tonight and I don't have time to do the research.
Anyway, I found a 2nd Gen Explorer with a 4.0 OHV engine, its got a ceramic/black plastic intake. So, I'm not certain of the exact year of the truck but it is a push rod motor. after a quick Wikipedia search I found the OHV 4.0 remained in production until 2001. That being said, does that mean I can complete the swap as if it were a 1st gen Explorer ? I mean, as far as I know I can either simply swap the computer/engine harness and have it running. On the other hand, would I have issues doing a complete re-wire of the entire truck if I decide to go that route ? I'll be keeping my Mitsubishi 5 speed and electronic 4x4 for the time being, my BII is a '90 2.9L.
Forgive me, but I just want to be certain this engine is EXACTLY the same as the 1st gen before I attempt to buy this Explorer.
Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The base engine is exactly the same as the 1st gen Explorer. Depending on the year the electronics, sensors and what not, on it are drastically different.

I also don't' guarantee that the wiring is right. I do guarantee you have wiring issues concerning lights if using an Explorer harness on a Ranger or BII.

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So the engine is basically the same ? If I understand you clear, I would be ok using the engine with a early 4.0 Ranger harness then ? Just how drastically different is this sensor variation you speak of ?
The Explorer only has 107K miles. Its been parked for a while. I figure it could make it another 80,90,100K if I'm good to it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The biggest issue is the cam position sensor. It changed around 1997 from a 3-pin to a 4-pin. The syncro changed at the same time. Basically, look for an engine from before the change and you should be ok with almost everything else.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals