• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

84 Bronco ii Water in Carb

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
The three bolts that hold the thermostat in thread into that fitting on the back side and the bypass hose goes from it up to the intake manifold. Hopefully it is still stuck to the housing good just be real careful threading the three bolts back in for the thermostat.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_14212965991009&key=a681dde15d2caef382aa0137ce096166&libId=c3efe87b-d796-4ef2-985b-a629b63105cc&loc=http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158527&page=2&v=1&out=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PERMATEX-AVIATION-FORM-A-GASKET-SEALANT-LIQUID-4-FL-OZ-80019-/381019667697?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item58b68abcf1&ref=http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158527&page=3&title=84 Bronco ii Water in Carb - Page 2 - The Ranger Station Forums&txt=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PERMA...item58b68abcf1
What I do is brush a light coat of this stuff on both of the mateing surfaces and let it air out about 15 minutes where it is still good a tacky it will hold the gasket in place as you line up the housing and install the bolts. You should see a light bead of sealant bubble out all the way around. If you do it right it will even hold the thermostat in place just make sure the rubber oring is in the recess all the way around.

bronco2blue

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That housing is unlike anything I saw on my truck. I'm installing a new water pump. The water pump has a hole on the right where a metal housing bolts up (3 bolts). The lower radiator hose connects to that housing. Inside I expected to see a thermostat, but there wasn't one. My only question would be is it a good idea to put the new thermostat I bought there? I already know to be careful not to strip bolts and I know how to prep surfaces and install gaskets properly.

This is what I'm using. Two gaskets and the o-ring for the thermostat. I guess that means the thermostat goes there next to the water pump even though the truck didn't have one. Not pictured are the actual water pump and thermostat.

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Yes install the thermostat in the recess on the water pump. You cannot see that other housing because it is hard to see it is glued to the timing chain cover on the back side hopefully. You will find out if you cant thread the three bolts. Believe me it there and can be a nightmare to seal up if you get careless. Just warning you from my own experience. Its been three years with the same antifreeze just fill it with water first and make sure it hold water before you pour antifreeze in. Once the heater hoses get hot then you know it is burped properly.

bronco2blue

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I thought I removed the lower radiator hose housing carefully but when I went to put it back on the bolts would not thread into the holes. I can't tell if the bolts holes in the head are stripped out or if i just need new bolts. I can push them all the way in with my finger. Now I have a major setback.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like the wrong bolts if they can slide into the threaded hole, even stripped they wouldn't do that easily

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I showed you the housing on the back side for the bypass hose those bolts screw into the bypass hose housing. Have fun getting it to seal I showed you the housing , gasket and bypass hose. Good luck!

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I find it easier to put the thermostat housing on and stick the bolts so they barely stick through the other side and put the back gasket on then carefully put the housing up and astart the bolts then tighten the bolts and then install the new bypass hose. You need to pull the hose off anyways so you can properly clean the mateing surfaces.

bronco2blue

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
False alarm, I wasn't paying attention. I overlooked the plate with threaded holes behind the water pump and thermostat housing. I just need to align the bolts carefully to get the threads to catch.

I just flushed the system until the water ran out clear. I opened up the housing that connects to the top radiator hose and found the thermostat, but it's a different design from the new one. So should I put the new thermostat in the top water outlet where it was, or the bottom water outlet?

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
That upper housing is not for a thermostat if you put one there your heater will not work until the thermostat opens up. That so called plate is the bypass housing but since your not listening I guess I`m through.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals