• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What the heck is up with my trucks trailer lighting?

bluebombersfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I hooked up my first trailer to this truck a few weeks ago. Did a light test and left blinker wasn't working on my old trailer. Big deal I thought it was an old trailer needed new lights and wiring anyway. Upgraded all the lights and wiring and same problem.
I tracked the problem to my truck. But it's not that simple. Here is whats going on. Left light and brake light don't work. Then I put my night lights on then left light is very bright. left brake light then works but left signal light will still not work.
Please someone make my day a tell me there is a quick fix to this because this is the most screwed up thing. This makes no sense to me.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Take the bulb out and see if the socket is melted/corroded. Also, pull the harness apart that is behind the rear bumper and check for corrosion.

Sent from my Quad Core Acer A210

bluebombersfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Like mentioned lights are new. its coming from my truck all screwed up. I already put on a new harness myself. I checked many times I lined up all the wires correctly on the new harness.
I hooked up a single light to each wire I could not get a flashing left signal light from any wire. Something is very off and very strange about this. I am almost wondering if this might be some kind of wiring screw up from the factory because I have never experienced such strange behaviour like this for a simple 4 wire trailer wiring.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I'm not talking about the bulb. I am talking about the socket the bulb goes in to. And by replacing the wiring, I assumed you meant you rewired and replaced the trailer stuff, seeing as how all of that is in your paragraph about the trailer. Did I misunderstand? What exactly is new then (on the truck)? Did you buy a new harness, junkyard harness, etc.?

Sent from the can

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If it makes no sense then it's probably a ground problem, lol.

This is a good resource for trailer wiring
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TrailerLights.html

Brighter light can mean that light is being used as a ground by something else or if its a double filament bulb then the wrong filament is coming on or both are coming on.

The bad ground could be, and most likely is, in the truck

fyre82

Firefighter
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
9" on the 2000, 6" on the '88
Tire Size
265/75/16, 31x10.50x15
My credo
The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime
+1 on the ground issue.
I completely pulled the wiring out of my first trailer because it was wonky, but when I hooked it into the truck harness it worked fine.
I fixed grounds between the truck and trailer and have great function and bright lights.

What I did was add a ground wire to the hookup. One end grounded to the truck, the other to the trailer.

Rich

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals