• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Whats my tow rating for 06 Sport 3.0 5spd supercab?

bluebombersfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I checked the online manual and it says 2340 lbs? Seems a little low. I want to know if I will be able to tow a 22' sailboat with a displacement weight of 2200 lbs plus trailer. I would only tow it twice a year to the lake about 100 kms each direction, in the prairies, so flat land. But I think it's illegall to tow anything beyond the manufactured specs from what I have researched so I want to make sure my truck will be in compliance with towing it. If 2340 lbs is correct max tow weight then I would be over aprox, 600 lbs is my guess.

I have a 2006 Sport 3.0L 5 spd supercab, gear ratio is 4.11, but in the 2006 manual it says tow rating is same regardless of gear ratio's which I found odd.

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
Transmission
Manual
I checked the online manual and it says 2340 lbs? Seems a little low. I want to know if I will be able to tow a 22' sailboat with a displacement weight of 2200 lbs plus trailer. I would only tow it twice a year to the lake about 100 kms each direction, in the prairies, so flat land. But I think it's illegall to tow anything beyond the manufactured specs from what I have researched so I want to make sure my truck will be in compliance with towing it. If 2340 lbs is correct max tow weight then I would be over aprox, 600 lbs is my guess.

I have a 2006 Sport 3.0L 5 spd supercab, gear ratio is 4.11, but in the 2006 manual it says tow rating is same regardless of gear ratio's which I found odd.
I looked it up on another site and they say its because of the manual tranny and Ford doesn't want to warranty the clutch, driveshafts, etc. The automatics are spec'd for a lot heavier towing.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
In general the majority of people that tow trailers don't do it every day, so as with most things in life that can go wrong, the novice trumps the experienced.

Plain and simple an automatic is simpler for a novice tower to operate.

So vehicles with automatics have a higher allowed tow weight....for the novice.

Having 30 years of towing experience in manual transmissions doesn't change the law or insurance liability, whats in print for your vehicle's VIN is what the limit is.
Even if you were to swap the tranny to an automatic an insurance company could refuse to pay in the case of an accident, so modifications don't matter, tow weight is set in stone.......legally.

So if possible move 600lbs to the tow vehilce, if that doesn't exceed GVW or get a bigger rig with higher tow capacity.

bluebombersfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I looked it up on another site and they say its because of the manual tranny and Ford doesn't want to warranty the clutch, driveshafts, etc. The automatics are spec'd for a lot heavier towing.
Actually the automatic has a lesser towing capacity of 2400lbs. go figure. I'm pretty good with using a clutch, Actually I was a semi truck driver for a year so I'm pretty good with using a 5 spd for towing.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The 3.0 is a car engine, not a towing engine. The 2.9 was actually better for towing because it hits peak torque very low. The 3.0 hits peak up high.

You should be ok though. Ford specs things below their actual ability because of warranty vs idiot concerns. Besides, my sister in law has ridden in a Fusion before and those are only rated for 850 lbs cargo and passengers.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm getting 3920# towing for a 2000 auto 3.0L. People have got to start looking at what they're dealing with comparing the manual trans in a Ranger to the bigger, stronger trucks. Doesn't work that way, comparing apples to oranges.
Dave

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I checked the online manual and it says 2340 lbs? I have a 2006 Sport 3.0L 5 spd supercab, gear ratio is 4.11, but in the 2006 manual it says tow rating is same regardless of gear ratio's which I found odd.
Actually the automatic has a lesser towing capacity of 2400lbs. go figure. I'm pretty good with using a clutch, Actually I was a semi truck driver for a year so I'm pretty good with using a 5 spd for towing.
2400 is less than 2340?

Maritime Storm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Saturn
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Are you sure on the weight of that boat? Mine, on it's trailer, weighs in just under 4500lbs loaded. It's 23' Ancomm. I realize a centerboard is usually 500lbs lighter versus a bulb keel. That's quite a difference.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals