• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

battery hooked up backwards!

twistedturbine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
My truck was parked at a buddys house, one of his friends borrowed the battery and hooked it up backwards when he put it back in. Truck is an 89 ranger 2.9l 4x4. It blew the 50 and 60 amp alt. fuses in the underhood fuse box and the starter relay. I replaced the fuses and the relay and the truck now turns over but has no fuel and no spark. Fuel pump runs constantly with key on and has fuel pressure. What else could have gotten fried that would cause the no spark/ no fuel condition. NO fuses in the cab were blown and all accesories work.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
What else could have gotten fried that would cause the no spark/ no fuel condition.

Anything that contains any electronics.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
the truck now turns over but has no fuel and no spark. Fuel pump runs constantly with key on and has fuel pressure.
i would check the computer. if its got fuel pressure but you say it doesnt have fuel...i take it the injectors dont fire? have you tried to pull codes?

twistedturbine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
havn't tried to pull codes yet. if the computer is fried what would happen when I try? oh and the injectors don't fire. is there a way to check the ignition module?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If the computer is fried, either you'll get codes or you'll get nothing at all. Depends on what part fried (it's not necessarily true that all of it fried).

The computer power distribution is NOT fried or your fuel pump would do nothing.

twistedturbine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
can I use a digital multimeter to get the codes or do i need an analog one?

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If the computer is fried, either you'll get codes or you'll get nothing at all. Depends on what part fried (it's not necessarily true that all of it fried).

The computer power distribution is NOT fried or your fuel pump would do nothing.
If the fuel pump is running continuously with the key on, then the PCM is at fault. The fuel pump relay is picked via an open collector (or drain) driver in the PCM that grounds one side of the relay coil to close the relay.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Bob, can we rule out a stuck fuel pump relay?

I'd try disconnecting the computer. Then, if turning the key on does nothing, it's almost certainly the computer. If it still runs, something else is at fault.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Bob, can we rule out a stuck fuel pump relay?

I'd try disconnecting the computer. Then, if turning the key on does nothing, it's almost certainly the computer. If it still runs, something else is at fault.

Good idea!!

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would have the guy that messed it up fix it. Then again if he dont know how to hook up a battery the you are better off doing it your self. Is there any fuseable links on that truck? Thought there is one by the alt.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Had an issue like this come into work once, it was an aerostar tho....ended up being a fusable link in the wiring comming off of the battery

twistedturbine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
don't think there are any fusible links. It has the underhood fuse panel. The truck is like 2 hours away so i can't go look either. Do you guys think there is a good chance that the computer is screwed. Could the ignition module on the distributor have gotten messed up to? What controls the fuel injectors is it just the computer or does the ignition module have anything to do with triggering them? I'm trying to get an idea of what i'm gonna have to replace to get this truck going, before i drive back over there.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Was the ignition switch turned on during the time that the battery was reversed? The reason I ask, is that a lot more stuff was exposed to reversed polarity if the switch was cycled, than if it wasn't. Kind of sounds like it was, though.

And you're right; by '89 the underhood fuse box replaced fusible links. I'm sorry that I can't help you much here; I have never ran into a battery polarity reversal situation that was anything more than replacing blown fuses, links, or melted wires to get things back to normal. I've seen tons of individual radios, amps, control modules, etc. fried, but this is a different situation, being a battery reversal versus a component mis-wire. I simply don't know with any certainty what all could have been damaged here, in the individual systems and components.

If it helps (I hope it does, anyway), if I had to deal with this, I would get my hands on the Ford EVTM, or any wiring diagrams on that truck, and start checking all of the power circuits from the battery back to each problem component. For example, is each and every fuse actually passing power? Is the ECM getting power like it should? The coil and the ignition module? It's probably going to take a logical and methodical step-by-step tracing of the circuits back from the battery to sort this thing out. Sure was a pisser of an accident, and I wish you the best luck in getting it fixed.

fastford04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sorry to say but ur buddy is a DUM ACE!! lol id make him fix it or make him pay to have it fixed if he messed it up!! lol thats just me tho!!

twistedturbine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
the igniton switch was cycled. I tried the start it. I realized what was wrong when i looked under the hood to see what was wrong. Can anyone tell me what controls the injectors. If i turn the engine over they should spray fuel right? If the computer controls the injectors i'm going to replace the computer next timr i'm out that way and see if it works.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals