• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Moving my Supercharged V-8 setup in spring

dasfinc

October 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
To my other truck:

1997, 5 speed, 2wd.

Thoughts?

*For those curious, My 1998 Std cab Stepside ranger is getting scrapped due to visually looking like shit, me being sick of an Automatic in my "toy", and emissions/reg renewal both being due next month...*

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
What's wrong with an automatic, Bro?? I have had them in my dd street hot rods and my drag cars pushing over 400-600 hp and never had a breakdown. My 87 'Vette ran over 212 mph at top speed and it hit 0-60 in under 5 seconds flat. It was an automatic. I don't need no stinking 4 or 5 speed to enjoy trashing the wild rides....lol.

What all is done to your V8? Cam, lifters, heads ported and polished, roller rockers or is it stock?

dasfinc

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What's wrong with an automatic, Bro?? I have had them in my dd street hot rods and my drag cars pushing over 400-600 hp and never had a breakdown. My 87 'Vette ran over 212 mph at top speed and it hit 0-60 in under 5 seconds flat. It was an automatic. I don't need no stinking 4 or 5 speed to enjoy trashing the wild rides....lol.

What all is done to your V8? Cam, lifters, heads ported and polished, roller rockers or is it stock?
Annoyed with the tuner more than anything. It's all up in the air until spring. I'd really like a 2001 auto explorer sport with a dead motor or trans for cheap so I can move everything over with a big stall and have some fun...

Just curious about what people think about a 2wd Explorer Sport with a blown V-8.

And yes, it has a mild Cam, Roller Lifters, Roller Rockers, Double valve springs/HD Retainers, Stock GT-40P heads.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It'll be different. Are you going to lower it?

What other mods are you doing to it?

dasfinc

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It'll be different. Are you going to lower it?

What other mods are you doing to it?
The REAL goal would be to find a 01-03 (Face-lifted) Automatic Explorer with a dead motor/trans for cheap loaded as much as possible (DD/Street truck)

Stuff in my swap (98 Explorer 5.0 with 8PSI X-Charger/Cam/Roller Rockers/Roller Lifters/double valvesprings/HD Retainers) along with new 46lb injectors, my Walbro 255 in the tank, and finally buy TM Headers and a 3000 Stall "B+M Hole-Shot" converter. Most Explorer sports already have a 3.73 rear end which would be fine. I'd move my black Cragar Soft 8's over as the street wheel/tire setup, and buy a pair of 15X10 Cragars for slicks.

With a good tire I'd be aiming for a low 13 second, high 12 second SUV. It'd give all the Trail Blazer SS's something to think about.

EVENTUALLY I'd do the ExplorerExpress suspension kit on it (about 1.5 drop all around) and call it a day.

Can't find anyone with anything even close to similar.

dasfinc

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Scrap that stock junk and Megasquirt it.
Moving to SCT and Pro-Racer software I'm thinking. And I'm using Sniper Special Forces currently for tuning. It is far from stock.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Annoyed with the tuner more than anything. It's all up in the air until spring. I'd really like a 2001 auto explorer sport with a dead motor or trans for cheap so I can move everything over with a big stall and have some fun...

Just curious about what people think about a 2wd Explorer Sport with a blown V-8.

And yes, it has a mild Cam, Roller Lifters, Roller Rockers, Double valve springs/HD Retainers, Stock GT-40P heads.

Hmmmmm, Exploders already have V8's in them which is nice but they are not really hot on performance. Modifying them is better. I have seen several Exploders over the years here in Florida with single and twin turbos and have seen 3 with a roots type super charger on them. At the track, the turbos beat the superchargers all the way to the finish line. I would rather have the turbo since it has less moving parts and is easier to maintain and the turbo is much lighter as well. One of my Vettes had a twin turbo Callaway set up in it and it was just a stunner with the performance. No ride with a supercharger ever was able to shut me down on the streets or the strip. Turbos rule...lol

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hmmmmm, Exploders already have V8's in them which is nice but they are not really hot on performance. Modifying them is better. I have seen several Exploders over the years here in Florida with single and twin turbos and have seen 3 with a roots type super charger on them. At the track, the turbos beat the superchargers all the way to the finish line. I would rather have the turbo since it has less moving parts and is easier to maintain and the turbo is much lighter as well. One of my Vettes had a twin turbo Callaway set up in it and it was just a stunner with the performance. No ride with a supercharger ever was able to shut me down on the streets or the strip. Turbos rule...lol
Most of the factory V8 explorers are AWD and all of them are 4 doors.

I think a 2dr 4wd converted to AWD would make a neat street machine...

dasfinc

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Explorer Sports never came with a V-8, and are about 1000lbs lighter than a 4 door equivalent. Another 300lbs or so lighter if in 2wd trim.

My setup is already supercharged, and works nicely. Don't feel the need to switch to turbo, My Ranger pulled VERY strongly uptop with all the valve-train upgrades, and has GOBS of torque down low thanks to the blower. Ran a 13.8 with 5PSI on the blower on my motor stock, only trapped 89mph. Running 8PSI now, and all of the previously mentioned upgrades :).

I Suspect with everything done to the motor + Headers/Converter/Tire I could easily Fling an Explorer Sport into low low 13's, maybe even 12's. Wouldn't mind the title of "Worlds Fastest Explorer Sport" :p.

Most of the factory V8 explorers are AWD and all of them are 4 doors.

I think a 2dr 4wd converted to AWD would make a neat street machine...
all 96 V-8 explorers were AWD, after that it was an option (Never was a 4X4 V-8 explorer from the factory I'm sure you already gathered)

I'd stick with 2wd, the AWD systems are heavy and not designed to take 400+ Ft/lb torque launches. Sports have AWD from the factory very commonly, don't think many/any came with a true 4X4 system.

Last edited:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I can see the point if you already have the setup. If not, I would go the turbo way!! I have seen several V8 4 doors and 2 doors here in Florida. I never asked the owners if it came that way or it was modified. I just know you could buy a V8 in one of them new at the dealership. I just never really liked them, I just thought they were a family getaway ride and just thought they were too big for my taste.

dasfinc

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I can see the point if you already have the setup. If not, I would go the turbo way!! I have seen several V8 4 doors and 2 doors here in Florida. I never asked the owners if it came that way or it was modified. I just know you could buy a V8 in one of them new at the dealership.
Not in 2 door trim.

2 doors have never come with the 5.0 from the factory, nor has any 3rd party company offered them (such as Saleen etc).

I just never really liked them, I just thought they were a family getaway ride and just thought they were too big for my taste.
The sports are very modestly sized, and I can park it damn near anywhere, and make almost any turn thanks to its short wheelbase.

I loved racing with my ranger because I could toss my grill and tools in the back, and bring a friend. I LOVE the idea of carrying 4 people, gear, grill to a track with the sunroof open and power locks/windows/etc. My ranger was very "Hard Core" and it was tiring to drive long distances (Manual windows/locks, very beat up, could only seat 2 etc). I think the explorer sport is a perfect compromise of Space and weight. I'd be willing to have an explorer that's 4-5ths of a second slower than my current ranger in exchange for being able to seat 2 more people, and having power features. My ranger was also worthless in the wet/snow, and I suspect I could drive the explorer year round (I already drive a 2wd explorer year round as my DD)

Those 4-5ths will probably be gained back and then some by buying headers/converter/tire.

Last edited:

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
I'd love to see this. Sounds like it will be fast. That's for sure.

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
soccer mom SUV on steroids, MUHAHAHAHA this will be fun

dasfinc

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
soccer mom SUV on steroids, MUHAHAHAHA this will be fun
A buddy of mine cracked 11's in his gutted 2wd TBSS with 1.5X 60 foots on MT Streets... Seeing him launch has given me some serious ambition to catapulting my own SUV :icon_rofl:.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals