• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacement battery tray

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I don't think that is the OEM replacement...at least it's not the same as my 88...maybe earlier models.

My tray (was on the passenger side) had a metal lip all around it and an X shaped groove on the bottom. It didn't fold over like this one pictured shows and I'm pretty sure it was actually welded in place.

It did have the slotted sides for the tied down hooks and it did attach to the metal on the outer side of the fender area metal...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't think that is the OEM replacement...at least it's not the same as my 88...maybe earlier models.

My tray (was on the passenger side) had a metal lip all around it and an X shaped groove on the bottom. It didn't fold over like this one pictured shows and I'm pretty sure it was actually welded in place.

It did have the slotted sides for the tied down hooks and it did attach to the metal on the outer side of the fender area metal...
That is how mine looks. It is spot welded to the inner fender and to a brace that runs under it. Dad made a square plate with a lip around it eons ago when I was in high school and epoxied it in so I can't see much of the remains (it was rotten enough the battery fell out to the front and rubbed a hole in itself with the radiator support)

I just can't place that chute thing at all...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There was more of mine left than I thought there was, certainly doesn't look like the replacement one.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
For what they want for that goofy looking replacement, I think I'll just make my own tray

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Making one is probably better and you get to customize it as well...

That pretty much looks like the one I had in my 88 though...and it wouldn't be that hard to make one a bit better...I liked the raised lip all around to keep it from sliding...and with the J-hook tie downs mine would stay put even in a roll over...

Mine was actually in pretty good shape because I caught it before it started to get bad...painted it with rust paint and kept it clean...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am actually surprised how good it does look. Pretty much the same as it did 15 years ago when the battery that came with the truck 17.5 years ago fell out the front. The plate dad made for it held up really well... I just don't like the tarp strap that holds the battery in.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
When I first got my Ranger I used a bungee cord to hold it down but soon found it to be ineffective. I went to a junkyard and found the original equipment style and used that for the 14 years I drove it (them, actually, I put the same one in my newer truck).

I've still got some spare parts in a bin outside that might have the one I got from the 96 Ranger. It wasn't as easy to use as my original because it had wing nuts and sliders so it could take a variety of different sized batteries...the design made me think it was weaker than the solid bar style that I was using.

Need to go through that when the weather warms up a bit...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have the "correct" hold down that attaches to the battery box with j bolts and then bolts on the radiator support that I would love to use because it is how it is supposed to be.

I am afraid it is going to hobble me on battery size though. I know it was about 1/2" too small for the MT-34 that is currently in the truck. I don't want to get stuck trying to get a 2.8 sized battery to whip over a 5.0.

Since I need a new one anyway I need to get the book out and see what size battery is correct for an '85 and then what the whoopiest battery is I can get with that width and see if it is a go or not.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
The 89 and up had the tray with a bolt-down wedge. I re-tapped the bolt hole for a 1/4x20 and used a stainless bolt. My choptop has a 65 series in it like that using the original tray

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I wouldn't worry about the battery that fits that hold-down not kicking your 5.0 over.

The parts listing for the early Rangers says a group 58 or 59 is the correct battery, rated at 590 CCA. The same 59-590 was the low-option battery on F-150s with the 4.6 and 5.4.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did some more looking at batteries.

OEM was a 490CCA battery. Interstate only calls for a MT-56 to fit an '83-88 which is 590CCA. Dimension wise vs what I have now it should be about right to fit the hold down though.

http://www.interstatedealers.com/IBCatalog/pages/automotive/00053573_auto.htm#home

The one I have now is 700CCA. OEM MT-65 for the mod motored F-150 is 650CCA. I have always put the 850CCA in my '02 with a 5.4. It does show 590CCA for the base 4.2 though (with bigger optional)

http://www.interstatedealers.com/IBCatalog/pages/automotive/00046733_auto.htm#home

It is something to think about though, it certainly isn't a huge jump between 590 and 700 but there is only $3 between the two. I don't drive it much in the winter which is both a blessing and a curse for batteries...

Checked on LMC about the fullsize tray, it looks like it just bolts in (not welded) Might just watch JY's for a solid tray. Random oddly bent pieces of metal are usually pretty cheap.

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Junk yards can cut one out if you find one...they won't allow us to bring torches in to do our own cutting in Canada but they will do it for a small fee...another "I was going to do this..." item that just never got done...:)

While reading another recent post in another section I learned about battery "group" classification (that I'd never heard of before) and searched on that heading...came up with this site...

http://www.batteryweb.com/bci.cfm

More information on batteries than I will ever, ever, need but it did clarify how they are classed (size) and there are sub classes and other information for just about anything that uses batteries (bigger ones).

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My plan was if I found a good ranger one was to just run to my future father in law's place and grab a cordless drill and get a spot weld cutter drill bit.

Just about every RBV I see in a JY is beat beyond belief anymore. There are a lot more creampuff fullsizes there for a fender bender or something seemingly minor. If I gotta make something to at least get by with it seems like a good way to go if I stumble on a nice one since they mount roughly the same and have the same provisions for the hold down.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I've never had to use one of them but funny you should bring that up...I was browsing for something else the other day and there was an ad for just that type of drill bit...I thought of the job I had to do with replacing the front support (that I was going to do eventually) and realized I could have had that swapped out much faster than the time it took me to make the old one work with the 89 front end parts...

I learn much more from making mistakes than I do from understanding it in the first place...:)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals