• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 clunk/bang/disengage

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When I'm in 4x4 the system will clunk, and bang every few seconds and disengage periodically, but works fine other times. No I'm not on hardpack surface. this happens in mud, loose snow, sand, etc.

I replaced the U joint on the front shaft, it was a little worn but not bad. Issue still exists. the front CV shafts are fine. I removed the driveshaft and put it in 4x4 to see if it was the transfer case, problem didnt happen but that could also be because there was no load on it.

I have determined it's either the CV joint on the front driveshaft (transfer case end) or something else that I can't think of.

Any ideas? Am I on the right track with my thinking?

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
Easy to check.. don't have to start engine, turn key to "on" position, put trans in neutral, put foot on brake, get under truck, have a "friend" activate 4wd several times, find problem.
Open wallet let money fly out..

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yeah, that doesnt work lol. It only happens when it's under load. So.... kinda need it to be moving to do that.

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
Maybe your 4x4 switch motor is dying..?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It appears fine, i ordered a CV joint for the front driveshaft, truck has a lot of miles so it won't hurt to replace it regardless. If it fixes the issue i will report back

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
alright, so I replaced the CV, and the issue still exists, but a lot less than it did before. it's almost gone, but still there very once in a while.

lets say before it clunked every 5 seconds, now its more like every 20 seconds. so it helped. but something is still not quite right. Maybe i'll do the ujoint again since it isnt brand new, and I have new ones sitting around anyways.

may also replace the passenger side axle. Driver side was done a few months ago.

jedHuf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Shot in the dark.... Have you changed the fluid? It could be all gummed up in there and not engaging properly

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
When I'm in 4x4 the system will clunk, and bang every few seconds and disengage periodically, but works fine other times. No I'm not on hardpack surface. this happens in mud, loose snow, sand, etc.

I replaced the U joint on the front shaft, it was a little worn but not bad. Issue still exists. the front CV shafts are fine. I removed the driveshaft and put it in 4x4 to see if it was the transfer case, problem didnt happen but that could also be because there was no load on it.

I have determined it's either the CV joint on the front driveshaft (transfer case end) or something else that I can't think of.

Any ideas? Am I on the right track with my thinking?

define disengage.

fx4....it has a manual shift t case right? with the electric case the clutch in the ramp can cause the feeling of disengagement because it is skipping a bit.

the torsen might give this feeling in loose stuff. its one wheel peeling and then bangs the other wheel in....where its actually working all the time but as traction lifts it feels like its not working and then the other wheel bites.

if this were merely from loose joints you would have destroyed something already....and it would be obvious where the problem is.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Shot in the dark.... Have you changed the fluid? It could be all gummed up in there and not engaging properly
havent recently, but it was done maybe about 30,000 miles ago.

define disengage.

fx4....it has a manual shift t case right? with the electric case the clutch in the ramp can cause the feeling of disengagement because it is skipping a bit.

the torsen might give this feeling in loose stuff. its one wheel peeling and then bangs the other wheel in....where its actually working all the time but as traction lifts it feels like its not working and then the other wheel bites.

if this were merely from loose joints you would have destroyed something already....and it would be obvious where the problem is.
electric shift. I wish it was manual. Disengages, as in I lose power to the front completely for a few seconds, then when I let off the throttle, it will re-engage. Torsen is working fine. this issue is only in 4x4. everything in 2wd works great. no one wheel peel. no banging. I barely ever use 4x4, but with winter coming up id like to have it working properly.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
if its an e shift.... maybe its f-ed up and needs a clutch in the t case or the forks tore up. i have seen the ball ramp deal bust and cause popping. i assume its a 1354 and not a 4405. its the clutch it uses to match shaft speed for shif on the fly with autohubs.....dont remember what an 06 has

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
indeed it is the 1354. If it ends up being something inside the transfer case, I think i'll use it as an excuse for an atlas :D because why not haha

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals