• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer vs. BII coil springs vs. f150 coils

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Are there any difference in the B2 and the explorer coil springs, Or are they the same length/load or whatever?
The tech section makes mention of using F150 coils up front, but I plan to keep my 2.9L for a while, and the guy who made that post mentions having a 305 under the hood or something... So I was wondering if anyone has F150 coils with the 2.9L? I would assume they are stiffer than what the B2 runs stock, in addition to the 3.5" of lift provided? anyone have the specific numbers for load or anything?

Thanks.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
First off, what are your intentions for swapping coils? Lift, I'm assuming?

Explorer and F150 springs WILL be stiffer than your Bronco II springs. I have no data to prove this but they're both heavier vehicles so they would have to be. There are also about a million different variations of F150 springs alone.

If lift alone is what you are after and you're only going for a few inches, you should seriously consider a body lift. You're going to have a really hard time getting anything over a 2" lift with the stock front TTB brackets to align correctly and it will negatively affect your ride quality.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
^
what he said

PLUS, you can find about 3 sets of skyjacker lift coils in the FOR SALE section at any given time, i think there are some up there now. but the same applies, you'll have to try and align the ttb. the diameter of the f-150 coils is a little wider than the b2, requiring coil bucket mods and the possibility that they'll pop out while you're wheelin.....then there's the stiff ride you're gonna get.

i'd just go the body lift route or poke around here for a little while and piece together a 4 inch lift

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9l FI, 2.9L FI, 2.8L
Transmission
Manual
If all you want is a few inches, I installed skyjacker 132xs springs in the front of my ranger(86) got abot 2.5inches what skyjacker claims. cam bushings cured the camber, no drop pitman was needed. BUT! the driveshaft rides kinda close to the radius arm crossmember! I almost jumped the truck one day, and the diveshaft did make contact with the crossmember, no repairs needed but something to think about. good news they(rough country and tuff country) do make radius arm crossmember drop brackets for a two inch lift they cost about $150. The 132xs springs cost about $150. To have Schwab align my front end including bushings,$140. a 4" lift from tuff country costs about $550 shipped off ebay. Its all up to you. but I think you should do the math. later dude.

EDIT: The price is for the "good kit". (drop brackets not just a drop plate.)

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
depends on what your willing to do.

relocation of the radius arm bracket and the use of 150 radius arms with some springs of your choice allows for 3 inches that is workable...but stick to two-two and a half and you get a pretty good range of use and travel.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
get jeep xj coils... +3 probably, really depends on how much lift you want... if you want to flex. NEVER buy a TTB coil.. they are 540 ppi (ish) where as the xj +3 coils are around 220 ppi, give or take depending on brand.. look in the tech library. i'm sure in listed in there..

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The plan is to get lift out of it.
This truck is a wheeler only, I have a VW Golf for driving.
I dont really care too much about things like camber being perfect, as I say, weekend truck only. Just looking to cheaply increase the fun potential.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Also, the truck itself is worth like $300, so spending $600 on a lift kit for it seems overkill.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
defiantly go jeep coils.. they flex out so much better. i have the rough country +4 coils for the b2, and they are so stiff...

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Are Stock jeep coils about the same length of a B2 coil under load? by +3 you mean a coil designed for a 3" lifted jeep, yes? What sorta lift would that give the B2?

The reason I like the idea of F150 coils is the fact they only cost $10 a pop outta the wrecker, but obviously the suck when it comes to flex I would assume...
I was hoping for 4" of lift in the front once all is said and done, and thats pretty close to what the F150s will give (according to the guy who did it on tech library)

Also, can anyone verify the rates for any F150 coils? Stock B2 springs are something like 540, with replacement ones from skyjacker being 400 (Which seems stupid-high for aftermarket)
Maybe someone knows of a specific year range with a softer coil than most others or something?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals