• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wiring for fog lights?

Special Ed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi all,

I have an '04 Ranger that has no fog lights but it does have the valances(?) for them (the holes are there with plastic inserts but no lights). My question is, would the truck already be wired (just not connected) or will I have to do all of the work of wiring myself? I'm not an electrician nor a real good back yard mechanic so I don't know what to look for.

The other option (where I'm leaning) is a bull bar where I can mount some nice big lights instead. Still, I'd like to know what I'd be up against if I went the route of using the stock locations.

Cheers,
John

09ajmaros

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not to sure if there is a wire to tap into for a setup for factory fog lights, except the parking lamps, but if there isn't then lights on a bull bar is a good idea and a hookup can just be added to the battery terminals.

If I didn't have factory lights,but I do, there must be a line you can tap into or some sort of fuse or relay. HTH

Special Ed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, this helps. Thank you very much for answering. I'll poke around this week to see what I can find.

Cheers,
John

V8 Level II

Dec 2008 STOTM Winner, 2008 Truck Of The Year
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Check behind the valance near the rad support on either side for connectors with tan/orange and black wires. Then check behind the radio bezel for an unused connector with TN/OR, LB/BK, LB/RD and BK wires.

If you have those 3 connectors, then your truck should be prewired. To set it up exactly like a stocker, you would need the radio bezel with the cutout, the switch and the foglamps plus a relay in the underhood relay box.

If your truck is not prewired, it is always possible to add an accessory switch, fuses, relay and lamps of your choice. Some aftermarket kits, like those from KC Hi-Lites, have everything you need including instructions.

Last edited:

Special Ed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Excellent information...that's just what I needed. Thanks, bud.

ejholmgren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My '04 appears to be wired even though it came without fogs. There are pigtails behind the valences, and I would assume there is one behind the radio bezel as well. I eBay'ed a bezel with the 4x4 switch, both 12v jacks, and the fog light switch a few days ago. I'll let you know how it goes.

Special Ed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, ej, I'm looking forward to hearing the results. I'm not real experienced with working on full-size vehicles but I've torn up enough RC trucks to think I might be able to handle it.

Cheers,
John

Acewilson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
08 ranger fog lamps

ok a new guy here. 08 XLT Supercab No stock fog lamps. Now I have a 06 Fusion and it has fogs and the switch is on the reg. light switch. I know a question that has already been asked here I'm sure. I have looked for the pigtail for the fog lights behind the bumper. I have found wiring on both sides near the
fog light bezels in the bumper, but there are wires coming from those and going to the brakes. Also I have found wiring on each side of the radiator witch are plugged into a small box with "made in Canada" printed on them. I thought I could just get new relay, main light switch, fuse and plug them in and be good to go. Am I wrong? a little assistance please. sorry for the old question asked again. great to be here! :dunno:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals