• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual Transmission won't go into gear

CJDurden

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
One day shifted fine no issues, the next it won't go into any gear with the engine on. With the engine off, it will go into all gears just fine. My truck is a 1997 Mazda B2300 with the 2.3L engine. It has the manual 5 speed from factory and the whole truck is original. I checked to see if there was anything leaking and there is not. Just looking to be pointed in the general direction to fix this thing. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It sounds more like a clutch problem than a tranny problem.Put it in gear with the motor off hold the clutch down and try to start it.Does it try to drive away with the clutch pedal all the way down if not does the clutch disengage like it used to.Check the clutch master cylinder[next to the brake master cylinder] to see if he has any fluid.If these confirm clutch problems start searching clutch repair options.

CJDurden

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Update

Ok so I went out there and checked the fluid. It was full. With the truck off I put it in gear and started it. It feels like it catches just a teeny bit but not enough to really count as "grabbing". When I started it like that I could shift all the gears with it running and pressing and releasing the clutch. After a few minutes of letting it sit in neutral, I would try it again and it wouldn't go into any gear again. What I am thinking is that it actually is a clutch problem maybe the throwout bearing or something. If I replace the clutch, I will be replacing everything I can get my hands on in there. Any opinions otherwise or maybe some different troubleshooting tips?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got a 93 really cheap with that symptom.

Its transmission was virtually dry/empty and the excess heat (I presume) made the slave quit working after about a mile. I put a replacement trans with a new slave in it.

Yours might just be a bad slave (or less commonly, the Master) but you should make sure the trans ATF is full, by removing the fill plug on the driver side.

Ak907Girl

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/ 11,370Miles
Transmission
Manual
My 93 doesn't like to shift sometimes either. I have to double pump a lot, I was told by my dad that it might be the clutch pack. Otherwise I don't know. Mine hates first gear, but after trying to shift into second then putting in first (before letting off the clutch) it'll go in. Let me know if you figure out what it is.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Make sure you dont have ice, carpet and floormat between the pedal and floor also. Have someone pump the clutch pedal and look at your lines to make sure they are not swelling up, it dont take much swell to loose it.

CJDurden

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
So I let her sit for a day. I went out this morning and she went into all gears with the engine on and cold. I put it in neutral and let her get to normal temp and tried again. Went into all gears fine, no grinding or anything. So I decided to give it a test run. Drove it around the block getting into all gears just fine. Stopped and went in reverse for half a block and everything was fine. Took it onto the highway shifting gears fine. What is up with this thing. I couldn't GET her to NOT go into any gear. All the fluids are full, I haven't added anything or done anything to her yet. Any thoughts?

PS I checked the lines for swelling like Lima suggested and I couldn't see anything swell. I live in Texas so not a lot of ice here. There is no carpet underneath the pedal and nothing else to get in the way.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I had similar symptoms in my '85 b-II. I tried bleeding numerous ways and times, sometimes it seemed to get better?!?! I finally tracked it down to the flange on the master cylinder; it was broken on one side allowing the master to move, so incomplete movement INSIDE the master. I've also seen the floor boards ['87 ranger] have a crack that allowed master cylinder movement.
Food for thought.
Good luck,

Richard

remo1967

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b3000
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Same thing happened to my 2003 b3000 last week its a bad slave cylinder. So i replaced everything because i had it apart any ways

Tofflemire

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1995 4.0 4X4 ford ranger with a manual transmission and it does the exact same thing with it not going back into gear after running for a little bit. It will go into gear if the truck is rolling but when I stop at a light I have to keep the clutch in because if I don't then it becomes difficult to get back into gear. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW I WOULD CHECK TRANSMISSION FLUID LEVEL or have any other ideas? Not sure if its a related problem but I also notice when the gear problem is acting up it seems like the e brake pedal starts acting weird and also sounds like something is loose in the front end when I apply the brakes. Please if anyone has input let me know what you think. Thanks guys

Patrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Did this get solved? I had a 92 ranger with a 3.0 with a similar issue. I could shift while moving, but throwing it into gear at a stop was difficult and caused some grinding. Turned out to be a messed up pilot bearing inside the flywheel. It had just enough friction to turn the input shaft. Hope this helps. O know this is an old thread.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

art1029

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Has anyone figured out a fix? I am having the same issue.

I have replaced the clutch master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder, new clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, new shifter bushings, replaced the transmission fluid, and bled the cutch....the truck still won’t go into gear. What am I missing!?!?

This was the original issue of why I started the project. The truck will start in neutral, but not go into gear while the engine is running. The truck won’t start when a gear is engaged.

Fnmarvin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
01'
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Old thread or not i need answers My 01' 2.3 Ranger has always giving problems about idilingand going back into gear but last night I'm running down the highway about 70 mph in 5th gear when it went blam and blew out of gear luckily I was able to get it into 4th gear but nothing else I got it off the road safely but now I cant even get it into 4th. Thanks just telling someone who might can help is therapeutic right now. That's my only transportation. LMK

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Old thread or not i need answers My 01' 2.3 Ranger has always giving problems about idilingand going back into gear but last night I'm running down the highway about 70 mph in 5th gear when it went blam and blew out of gear luckily I was able to get it into 4th gear but nothing else I got it off the road safely but now I cant even get it into 4th. Thanks just telling someone who might can help is therapeutic right now. That's my only transportation. LMK
Will it go into gear with the engine off? Is the clutch pedal still firm? Is there any noise when pressing the clutch (squeeks, chirps etc)? Have you checked the fluid in the master cylinder?

Fnmarvin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
01'
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Sorry I had to run out and check your suggestions. Clutch is a little soft but fluids are good and shifts fine while off. But start it and it and it feels like its In 1st so i let out clutch and nothing. It grinds trying 2nd but wont go into gear. It wont grind any other gear or go into gear either. It's like I can shift into others with ease but no gear is there no grind nothing expect a grind on 2nd. I know I'm rambling and I hope you understand my explanation.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals