• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

07 ranger 4.0lv6, v8 killer?

dimegrin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
hello every one. this is my first post.
I just baught a 07 ranger 4x4 sport 4.0l 5spd auto.
I am looking all over the internet for mods to make this truck a v8 killer in the mud and track.
I have a Diablo Trinity programer on the way, along with a k&n cold air kit, airaid t.b. spacer. i will post pics and stats on how much i gained from these mods.
There is a few vids on youtube that a few people have put a thunderbird supercoupe 3.8 v6 supercharger on the rangers 4.0. If anyone has info on required parts to instal and tune these i would greatly appreciate any info.
not to sure on what exhaust mods i am going to go with. I have drooled over a few headers and inquired on a duel flow master 44 set up. fairly pricy. any feedback on these items would be great.

this will be my first ranger with a v6 but i have had 3 other rangers

2- 1995 and 1- 1996, all with the 2.3l. great trucks. i am keeping two of them for progects. one will get a 5.0 H.O. and the other will be a turbo 2.3l 5sp.
i have many projects on the go. also in my ford fleet is a 1975 mercury comet with 302w,
a 1989 broco eddie bauer with 351w efi,
a 1987 f 150 with 302w efi and farmer 4 spd. (great farm truck and rock crawler in 4 low)
i am selling my 95 e150 van with a 351w.
i also have a 1987 couger with the H.O.302 but its a write off and parts car.

anyone looking for 302 parts i have tons! 87 couger has good parts too but im keeping engine.

a little off topic here, so as i mentioned above any mods out there for my 07 ranger i would like to hear about.

long live the ranger!

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome, Bro. Post photos of your Ranger. To be truthful, A V8 swap is a lot cheaper then putting a lot of money into a V6. To get better performance out of a V6 you will need a cam swap, extensive head mods, block work (bore out the cylinders) just for starters. This gets costly. Programmers and chips are usually not really all that good. Some make outrageous claims as well. Turbocharging is another way to go but that can get costly as well for a good turbo kit.

Danger-Ranger96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
There's a supercharger kit for it as well. I'm thinking about going the v6 retard mode route with my truck as well. Cam, headers, exhaust, heads, possibly a supercharger. As for staying on a budget, like straycat said, the v8 will be cheaper in the long run. (depending on how much hp/tq that motor has, I know a few guys that run 450+ hp in v8's that are in rangers but they have also done extensive modding to the frame) Stiffening it up so it can take the brunt of a v8 without twisting like a pop can.

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Cold air intake and T/B spacer are going to net you probably just about nothing.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cold air intake and T/B spacer are going to net you probably just about nothing.
May pick up a little time from the lighter wallet. :icon_cheers:

IMO you only hope is to run a blower of some sort.

Small engines can do crazy things if built right with boost. I had a 2.0 4cyl that put out more power than my 5.0 V8... and got twice the milage doing it.

Torque is a different story however and compared to a custom boost setup a well trained monkey (like me :yahoo:) can do a basic V8 swap...

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i vote 7mgte swap =P

odley2001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1988 1993
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
id be interested in the wiring harness and computer for the 87 302 cougar motor if you wanted to part with it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals