• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone know coil spring rates for F150 coils of any year?

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Okay Im looking for a cheap (junkyard, if possible) option for lifting the front end of my ride, and F150 coils seem to be a decent one, but I can't find the spring rate for anything F150.
From what I read on this site, stock bronco II coils are in the 500-540 range, with aftermarket parts being 400, and the truck ideally wants a rate of more like 250...

Now obviously the F150 coil will not give me more flex than the stock, but if the spring rates on F150 coils used in smaller engine platforms are comparable to the stock spring, then Im not really losing anything either, right?
So Yeah, does anyone know the rates for anything F150?
And does anyone know which models/years/trims/ect used different springs??

Thanks.
Matt.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
look at different coils on jeffsbroncograveyard.com and u can get an idea. they have stock height springs

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Bronco graveyard is all aftermarket parts, doesn't give me any help with wanting to find spring rates for all those trucks chillin' in the local wreckers.

Only the 2/4" lift coils have a listed rate, being 400 and 445 respectively.... And again, this is after market parts so no real use to me.
Thanks though.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Okay according to a post on another forum, spring rates for stock F150 springs are 337-366.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/350714-f-series-coil-spring-specs-for-your-info.html

That would mean that they are actually softer than my stock Bronco springs?
The F150 springs sure look more heavy duty, but according to that post an F150 with a V8, long box and A/C has springs with a load of only 366.

Also has anyone installed F150 springs and can comment on the ride quality?

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
does it say the free length of them?

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
does it say the free length of them?
Yeah, the link lists two installed lengths (12.13", 13") and a different free length from 15.75" to 16.94" for each of the 4, depending on how much weight they are rated to carry...

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
im not sure why i was thinking the f150 were alot stiffer. i knew the eb's were around 300 give or take, but they had a length of about 16"

edit: the fullsize std cab/fsb superlift 1.5-2" is 400ppi and 17" unloaded. might not be too big of an improvement over stock
ext cab is 565ppi

the ideal for soft ride and offroad is the xj coils which are 230ppi. but u have to have a completely flat steering linkage if not much lift, 3" xj will net about 2.5" lift. for the taller springs a superrunner or stonecrusher is highly recommended because of the drastic toe change creating camber changes from suspension jacking. despite what people say about "my jeep springs made my camber stupid", its because of the steering. some say its shocks, its bushings, its whatever, but it all comes down to the steering angles. they arent present in rbv coils because they are so dam stiff the changes happen slower.

now that we got that out of the way, eb coils seem to be the happy medium. ive seen em from about 280-380ppi, i'd say 300 is a good rate. still u will have camber changes so steering fix is a must. its not the softness of the springs, all that will do is create more sway on road. its the design of the linkage where it resembles a Y. u want it as flat as possible.

Last edited:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The road doesn't mean much of anything, other than the fact that I have to drive the truck from my place to the trails, like 25km away... Not a daily driver in any sense, more like a weekend trail rig.

So +3" jeep XJ coils will provide about 2.5" of lift, and will not **** up my steering too much? Higher than that puts it out, or??

As I say, dont need perfect camber 'cause its not a daily driver, and down the road I will get aftermarket camber bushings if its that bad... does a +4" coil exist? all I have run across are +4.5".

Thanks

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
where to start...

first off it wont do any good to throw on some soft springs with stock radius arms. u need to make longer ones, between 12-15" longer then stock. u can use stock bushings or heim style. plenty of threads about making some so search a little. also u will want some drop pivot points. i have 2.5" and im doing another 2" with adjustable camber bushings. and hopefully it will allign. anyways the point is u will need between 2.5" and 4" drops. however high u want to go. but u can get 2.5" tuff country, which i have, and use the 3" skyjacker xj coils for about 2.5" of lift. u can do the washer spacers if u want higher, i would try to get it at about 3" of lift and use camber bushings if it dont allign with the pivot drops. now from the measurements on my rig. with 2.5" of lift i can use a standard drop pitman(2" acuall drop, they call it a 4") and my steering will be perfectly level, and you shouldnt notice any wierd effects of the springs with proper allignment. search jeep springs and u will learn alot, there are some interesting things that come up in some of the threads that are need to know.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals