• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rogueperformance SCT X3

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
First off, the truck is a 2005 Ford Ranger 4x4 with 4.0L SOHC/5R55E drivetrain. I ordered the programmer from Rogueperformance.com on a thursday evening and by tuesday I recieved the product via USPS priority shipping. Before I explain the experience with the SCT X3, I want to share some details about Fred-the man behind Rogueperformance. Fred and I have been back and forth using e-mail and every question or comment I had sent him, he replied back within 24 hours. Sometimes within 3-4 hours. Since Fred is responsible for my Ranger's new found behavior, I give him credit as the SCT X3 itself is just a tool.

The three tunes I ordered where:
-CSK1perf93 (performance oriented tune)
-CSK1eco93 (torque oriented tune)
-CSK1perf87 (dd/performance tune)

Being as I've had 93 octane fuel in my truck for a couple months (long story-waiting for a programmer from Fred's competitor) I figured I'd go for the gold and run CSK1perf93. I increased the transmission line pressure by 25% on all gears and increased the WOT shift points so that it shifts between 5750-5850rpm. I also jumped the idle up 100rpm for the winter time.

The X3 took 3 minutes to download the factory program, and not a hair over 2 minutes to flash its own. The truck started with no hesitation at all, but the exhaust was rich for the first 30 seconds. After it found its idle, I checked the scangauge to make sure everything looked to be within range. I then listened for detonation and/or misfire. I found no signes of either so I jumped in, backed out of the garage and drove to town and back.

While driving to town- The trans didn't shift quite as hard as I was hoping. But it was acceptable. The scangauge clearly shows the added timing, increased torque-to-converter reading, and transmission line pressure. I stopped at a gas station and let it cool off for a bit.

While driving home- Now that the truck has had 15 minutes of run time, I figured I could stop babying it. On the way home, I squeezed the go-pedal more and thats when I discovered the throttle response. Also, for a "performance tune" there was a definate noticable torque increase (great for daily driving). I resisted a full throttle run until the computer had some more time to learn its drivetrain. Also, the shifts were very crisp with the extra throttle on the way back.

On the way to work- This half hour stretch of road has plenty of hills and speed changes. I felt that after a day of work and back, I could safely bury the throttle... and I did. It launched a lot harder than it did stock. (my poor tires) The speedometer carried all the way to the far right effortlessly until I backed off just below the speed rating of my tires. Is it like a nitrous kick? Ofcourse not, but it does have more nut. The transmission shifted great. Launching the truck forward in every gear, chirping the first-second shift change.

Reguarding the shifting characteristics. After a good 2 hours of run time, the trans started shifting harder than it did when the tune was first loaded.

And one last note about performance. My tunes were designed for a dynomax exhaust and Volant intake system. Since the volant intake system is backordered from Jegs, Fred says the top end might not perform quite as well with the stock intake. Since Fred altered the MAF table to compliment the top-end increase in airflow that the volant offers, the readings might be slightly off with the stock intake. Nothing that will harm the engine, Fred said, but it'll definatly run better on the top end when I get the intake and install it. (which means a Volant Intake System review in the future)

All in all, I'm very satisfied and I give it a 95/100.

EERNGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Good write up man, i have been thinking about getting a tuner for quite a wile now, and i can say this review seems in the norm for Fred. He sounds like the person to be dealing with if you want a tuned 4.0 or 3.0.

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Where did u buy this from, how can i contact him myself, and for how much? Thanks :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals