• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 Ranger 2.9 stroker (210 ci/3.5 L)

TheChimera

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l V6, soon goin bigger :-)
Transmission
Manual
First picture is all of the parts assembled on one bank. Had to make a bracket to shift the valve cover bolt holes and two little dams to seal off the lifter valley. They will be TIG welded to the intake spacers to create a solid unit which will drop on before the lower manifold and should seal everything. Was concerned about the oil pan as it didn't initially want to sit down, but a couple whacks with a dead blow moved the pickup enough to set it down. Second picture are the spacers rough fit in their positions. Their thicknesses will be determined by the deck height, which will be set after the sleeves are pressed in. So right now all material is very oversize, but close enough to test fitment. Third pic are the parts needed for this project, mind you two of everything and six sleeves.

Attachments

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Should I make an article with all the bolt sizes and block internal dimensions for the reference page?
Sure. The more knowledge we keep available for the future, the better.

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
Very interesting.I built a hi comp 2.8 for my '85 Ranger 4x4,back in 1995.Turtle Brannon,the drag racer,helped me with the build.It's nothing compared to this.Think my engine was pushing 220hp.Can't remember what the torque numbers were,but they were around the same as the HP.I ran a 450 cfm 4 barrel Holley that the Lima guys used in bomber Pintos.

bigro 007

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
First picture is all of the parts assembled on one bank. Had to make a bracket to shift the valve cover bolt holes and two little dams to seal off the lifter valley. They will be TIG welded to the intake spacers to create a solid unit which will drop on before the lower manifold and should seal everything. Was concerned about the oil pan as it didn't initially want to sit down, but a couple whacks with a dead blow moved the pickup enough to set it down. Second picture are the spacers rough fit in their positions. Their thicknesses will be determined by the deck height, which will be set after the sleeves are pressed in. So right now all material is very oversize, but close enough to test fitment. Third pic are the parts needed for this project, mind you two of everything and six sleeves.
Hi
it's bigro 007 nice build did it fired up did you finish it love to see it running and also would like to see the inside of the block after cutting the original sleeve if possible thank
bigro007

bigro 007

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So I have an 87 XLT 2WD that is nearing the end of its engine life as far as I can tell. Been nursing it but not sure how long after winter it has. In planning for its overhaul, I've decided to pursue a 3.5l high compression V6 OHV. Using the FRPP engine dimensions, looks like a 4.0l crank, 3.0l Vulcan con-rods and 2.8l .030 flat top pistons will net a 3.320" stroke and 3.670" bore and approximately 10.5-11:1 compression. I picked up the pistons, crank, bearings and one rod to test fit and they look like they should all work together sizewise. Need to clearance the piston skirts a bit for the crank throws, but all of the components mate nicely. Can spin the rod on the journal several times with one finger. I'll see what the block needs after the engine passes on and I yank it out.
Putting all the parts values into DynoSim engine software, with the Camcraft 252/256 cam and free-floated rocker arms, the engine should make 227 hp @5k and 300lb-ft @ 2.5k. Also should make over 200lb-ft from idle up to 5500 rpm and over 170 hp from 3000-7000.
I plan on backing this with an M5OD and BW1354/50 doubler, sent to D44/9" axles running 35/10.5/15s. Will be installing 4.0l clutch and eventually rear discs. Also 2" thick radiator and remote mounted oil filter and cooler.
So my question goes: Has anyone attempted this kind of homebrew stroker and if so, how long did it last? Also, does anyone have actual measurements on the deck height for the 2.8, 2.9 and 4.0l engines? The FRPP info says they have the same deck height, but that doesn't seem right as the 4.0l stroke is so much longer than the 2.9. Way too much to be taken care of with wrist pin height and rod length adjustments.
And before any of you say it, I WANT to stick with the 2.9. Not swapping. Be about the same price, but I won't have to monkey around with harnesses and adapters or worry about the health of the donor motor. And it'll be a true sleeper if the engine still looks like an old beat up 2.9. :icon_thumby:
Hi
Im curious did you finish your engine?does it run?if so how much more power does it make thank you
Bigro007

bigro 007

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
aBigro007
Are you still on that site did you finish your engine projet? I very curious to see how it went

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
He hasn't been on site since May 9 2016

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

bigro 007

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So I have an 87 XLT 2WD that is nearing the end of its engine life as far as I can tell. Been nursing it but not sure how long after winter it has. In planning for its overhaul, I've decided to pursue a 3.5l high compression V6 OHV. Using the FRPP engine dimensions, looks like a 4.0l crank, 3.0l Vulcan con-rods and 2.8l .030 flat top pistons will net a 3.320" stroke and 3.670" bore and approximately 10.5-11:1 compression. I picked up the pistons, crank, bearings and one rod to test fit and they look like they should all work together sizewise. Need to clearance the piston skirts a bit for the crank throws, but all of the components mate nicely. Can spin the rod on the journal several times with one finger. I'll see what the block needs after the engine passes on and I yank it out.
Putting all the parts values into DynoSim engine software, with the Camcraft 252/256 cam and free-floated rocker arms, the engine should make 227 hp @5k and 300lb-ft @ 2.5k. Also should make over 200lb-ft from idle up to 5500 rpm and over 170 hp from 3000-7000.
I plan on backing this with an M5OD and BW1354/50 doubler, sent to D44/9" axles running 35/10.5/15s. Will be installing 4.0l clutch and eventually rear discs. Also 2" thick radiator and remote mounted oil filter and cooler.
So my question goes: Has anyone attempted this kind of homebrew stroker and if so, how long did it last? Also, does anyone have actual measurements on the deck height for the 2.8, 2.9 and 4.0l engines? The FRPP info says they have the same deck height, but that doesn't seem right as the 4.0l stroke is so much longer than the 2.9. Way too much to be taken care of with wrist pin height and rod length adjustments.
And before any of you say it, I WANT to stick with the 2.9. Not swapping. Be about the same price, but I won't have to monkey around with harnesses and adapters or worry about the health of the donor motor. And it'll be a true sleeper if the engine still looks like an old beat up 2.9. :icon_thumby:
Hi I was wondering did he finish is 3.5 liter stroker 2.9 ? And did he bore out the original sleeve in the block to replace it with a wet sleeve ?mi correct in that assumption thank

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Not that I'm aware of. He hasn't been on here since May 9/2016

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals