• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1984 Bronco 2

Mharvey91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just bought a Ford bronco 2, 2.9L. It's under powered. I plan on putting on a 3 inch lift. This next weekend (any advise appreciated). It currently has 31 inch tires. Every thing else seems to be mechanically sound minus a few leaks. I'd like to make it more suitable for trails but I also have to use it as a daily driver for another 6 months or so. Swapping a 302 or a 4.0L sounds intimidating. I'm also limited with knowledge and decent set of tools. Does anyone have any helpful advise as to where I should begin improvement?

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
Pretty sure 84's only came with the 2.8 engine. Easiest thing is to do the Dura spark conversion. Other then that a good tune up, wires, plugs, rotor cap, etc. Clean the carb real good, fuel filter. Or the motor swap when you can afford it. My 84 has 31's on it and it will chirp the tires if I want it to, just hard on the clutch lol. I did the Dura spark and it was really noticeable on take off and idles a whole lot better. Write up is in the tech section and it's really not that hard or expensive.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
The 2.9 is fuel injected the 2.8 is carbed. If that engine has a carb I agree do the duraspark conversion unless you need to pass smog.

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
I have an '84 and an '85 both with duraspark and both are stronger pullers than my '99 Exploder with a 4.0L.

'86 was the first year for the 2.9... and they dont compare to the 2.8, if you have a 2.9 in an '84 then its been swapped in by a previous owner.

Swapping to a 4.0 or 302 involves swapping the entire drivetrain, including axles, worth while if your building a bogger but not for a daily driver. The '84/'85 B2s are very capable trucks, cheap to maintain, cheap on fuel.

If you have a 2.8 the duraspark conversion can be done in a couple days and costs about $800 using all new parts, carb, distributer, wiring, everything new. After which you have no polution controls no computer. Your left with a very basic wiring harness with electronic ignition in a truck that goes pretty much anywhere you point it.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Swapping to a 4.0 or 302 involves swapping the entire drivetrain, including axles, worth while if your building a bogger but not for a daily driver. The '84/'85 B2s are very capable trucks, cheap to maintain, cheap on fuel.
You don't HAVE to swap axles, but the d35 and 8.8 is stronger.

If you have a 2.8 the duraspark conversion can be done in a couple days and costs about $800 using all new parts, carb, distributer, wiring, everything new. After which you have no polution controls no computer. Your left with a very basic wiring harness with electronic ignition in a truck that goes pretty much anywhere you point it.
$800 is in Canadian dollars. Probably cheaper in the states.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
My 84 Bronco 2 was a wreck when I bought it, and it ran like crap...one day it was so bad it kept acting like it was going to die. I pulled over because I kept hearing a clicking noise on the passenger side. I ended up ripping out the relay that was by the computer. It ran a lot better afterwards. The duraspark conversion will help a lot.

You said 2.9L V6 which unless someone swapped in that engine your B2 should have a 2.8L carbureted V6 in it. If the 2.8L engine's carburetor isn't adjusted properly it will act like it has no power, it may run like crap, hard to start, hard to keep running, etc.

For swapping engines, unless you can do it yourself, have the tools to do it, and the room I wouldn't suggest it. The 2.8L V6 will do just fine contrary to what many will say or recommend on this forum LOL.

Throwing in a 302 or the 4.0L V6 will just get you less fuel economy, and more headaches...when you start swapping engines that don't belong you end up with a vehicle that may or may not be so reliable, or may give you issues randomly. Sure the swap can be done, but unless you have a free or very cheap donor vehicle its not worth swapping. I had 2 RBV's with the 2.8L V6, and the Ranger towed a 14' travel trailer all over the country for many years...my grandfather had it at the time and even with the little V6 he was always leaving their friend way behind who had a 1/2 ton Dodge pickup with the 318 V8. That little V6 will run forever if you keep it tuned up and serviced properly. My Bronco 2 that I had for about 2 years the body was in just horrible condition, far more work to repair than I had money, then came the starter issue which was caused by the previous owner screwing around with stuff on it put in the wrong flywheel so the starter never lined up properly...wasn't about to tear into that mess for a 3rd time LOL.

rusty7983

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I will 2nd. The 2.8 i had in my ranger was pretty good. I could chirp tires and used it for years plowing snow when i lived up north. If the truck didn't fall apart from rot i would still be driving it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals