• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

351W/ZF/T-Case

Broaner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 89
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Transmission
Manual
So I've got a carbed 351 out of an '81 F250. But its got an auto on it. If I were to use the ZF does the shifter end up in a good location for the stock shift boot? It also has a manual Tcase on it which I understand to be a 1356; is this correct? Its my understanding that Tcase will bolt up to the ZF but the larger size of the case requires clearancing. How will the shifter assembly on that fit? The stock 1354 will not bolt to the ZF; correct? What needs to be done for the speedo situation? I'm just kinda weighing my options here guys. Thanks for any input in advance.

wickedwindsor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The shifter comes out of the trans tunnel forward of the stock ranger location near under the dash. Check to see if it IS a 1356 and not an NP208. If it is an NP208, you are in luck as this should fit with no frame clearancing. I just recently put in a 1356 in my Explorer and moved the tranny mount to the passenger side by 7/8" to give just enough clearance for the xfer case to frame rail. I still ground out the frame a litttle anyway. The speedo arrangement is the same as stock 1354 so that is a bolt on. As far as xfer case shifter location...I used a shifter for an NP208 from an '86 F150 with AOD. This shifter ended up in the lower left side of the removeable trans tunnel plate. I had to cut and re-weld the shifter handle as it was hanging right by my right leg originally.
A lot of work, but not too bad if you can cut and weld. Oh ya, I used a front driveshaft from a '97 up F150 with 4.6 and hydrid ujoint to diff. Rear shaft was shortened by 1.5".
Moral of the story here is, definitely NOT a bolt in swap but very do-able with some patience and sweat.

wickedwindsor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
4 Low

4 High

Drivers POV

No Plate

Tranny Mount moved over 7/8" to make room for 1356

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
I will have to get some pictures posted up for you. If you want to use a ZF you either need to install a body lift or fab a new trans tunnel. It will not fit nicely. I put a body lift on and I still had a spot that was pretty tight. You need the engine to sit as low as possible in the frame too. The shifter will need to be modified and the stock ranger boot won't work. It will be pointed toward the dash. I used an NP205 for stregnth and it happens to be smaller than both the NP208 and BW1356. With the NP205 you will need to grind a passage for the shift rail to clear on the tailshaft housing. The stock speedo stuff will work. If you decide to use a ZF it will be in your best interest to install the engine and trans already mated.

Matt

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'd really like to see those pics, mainly of the shifter positioning and of how the transmission sits in the tunnel.

Broaner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 89
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Transmission
Manual
How far up under the dash does the ZF shifter come out? Is it something that is liveable or not really? Interested to see you pics Nitemare.

Is there a list of trucks that the 205 came in?

OT, on a 302,T5 setup where does the shifter come out?

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
With the T-5, the shifter comes out about 6-7 back from the stock location.
Dave - two hours North of you.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
I will have pics today. The ZF shifter comes out pretty close to the dash. I cut and rewelded the bottom of the shifter where it bolts to the trans to fix this problem. If I didn't 1st, 3rd and 5th wouldn't be used. I forget the exact years of the NP205 but you are pretty much guranteed to see it in a 70's 4x4 Ford. The era is late 60's or so to the early 80's. It's very common but be sure to read the ID tag so you don't get a NP203. They are quite massive. The T5 setup the shifter comes out right in front of the set. 2nd, 4th and reverse will just hit the seat.

Matt

Broaner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 89
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Transmission
Manual
Okay cool. Fabbing on the shifter doesn't bother me. What I'm really interested to know is how far forward of the stock console does it protrude from the floor?

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Excuse the mess in there I need to get my wires looking nice yet; I just moved the MSD from the engine bay to the inside. Here are some pics.

Here's 1st gear

Reverse

1st gear top view

Why you need a body lift

Matt

Broaner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 89
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the pics. So, does anyone know if on a 95 are the firewall to stock shifter dimensions the same as an 88? Body lift makes sense. I'm putting one on currently. But why not help by cutting that massive semi-triangular tab off?

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
I would believe those measurements are about the same. Maybe a little less room because that dash is bigger. The big tab on the trans isn't the only part that hits just the one that I can snap a picture of. The bellhousing is massive and the top of the transmission is massive.

ZF beside a M5ODR2

Matt

Broaner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 89
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Transmission
Manual
If I were to make my own mounts would I be able to get the motor/trans combo back far enough to put the ZF shifter in the stock location? Or does the firewall and other sh!t get in the way? It looks like the ZF shifter is only a couple inches forward of the m5.

wickedwindsor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The drivers side head comes very close to the firewall when locating the v8 in a "practical location". You would definately have to cut out the firewall if you were to relocate the drivetrain rearward at all.
Save yourself a domino effect of hassle and locate everything in the "tried and true" fashion. Making a new gear shift handle or cutting and rewelding the gear shift is least of your worries and much easier than trying to cut corners elsewhere.
I used flat 1/4" plate steel to make my motor mounts which allowed me to place my setup in the most desired location. For me, this was the cheapest and most practical way for motor mounts. I'm sure using L&L mounts or factory Mustang mounts will give you equal or at the very least similar results.
Search other v8 swaps for pictures, collect a ton of examples and then decide which way you want to go. You'll find that no matter which route you decide to take, there WILL be some fabrication involved. There is no 'bolt in' swap involved.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the closest u will ever come to a bolt in swap into a ranger is stealin the entire drivetrain from a 5.0 exploder and goin from there

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals