• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wipers Won't Turn Off...

MikeGuevara

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6 183CI
Transmission
Manual
Alright,

So both my wipers and my speedometer went out at the same exact time awhile ago. I'm currently still trying to figure out how the hell to get the speedometer to work, but the wipers starting working again. Well actually, they turned on while I was on the road and I couldn't turn them off. So I ended up having to pull over and remove the fuse. So basically what I'm trying to do, is figure out how I can get these working correctly. I replaced the wiper/hazard switch on the column and it didn't do much. Could someone help me track down this problem please? What other things should I be looking for? (Switches, Relays, Sensors, etc.)

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Did you put in a used wiper turn switch in? If you got a new one did you make sure it was for a 1998. In 1999 Ford changed the resistor disk in the wiper select, which makes them incompatible with your GEM module (controls the wiper motors).

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The GEM controls the GROUNDS for the WS wiper relays. They are in the Battery Junction Box. One relay turns the wipers on or Parks them, the other relay determines whether they wipe at Hi or Lo speed. The column switch (like ^ he said) is simply a collection of resistors/switches that tells the GEM which relay coil to ground. So, if they are stuck on, either the YE/WH wire to the GEM is getting a ground that it shouldn't be or the Run/Park relay has welded its contacts and the GEM can't control it.

If you send me a PM with your e-mail address, I'll send you the schematics for 2000, which should be the same as your 98.

If you swap the positions of the Run/Park relay and the Hi/Low relay (I am assuming that your Run/Park relay is bad from your description) then the result should be that you will be able to shut the wipers on and off normally but they will always run on Hi speed when On.

98RangerXLT4x2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you put in a used wiper turn switch in? If you got a new one did you make sure it was for a 1998. In 1999 Ford changed the resistor disk in the wiper select, which makes them incompatible with your GEM module (controls the wiper motors).
I hate reviving old threads, but I'm going to as my question directly relates to this...my apologies.

If I have a GEM/CTM from a 2000 and the turn signal switch from a 99-03, would my wipers work right in my 98 Ranger?

I'm trying to find a GEM/CTM for my 98 with little luck, I found a 2000 one and everything works except the wipers are on high and won't shut off.

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I hate reviving old threads, but I'm going to as my question directly relates to this...my apologies.

If I have a GEM/CTM from a 2000 and the turn signal switch from a 99-03, would my wipers work right in my 98 Ranger?

I'm trying to find a GEM/CTM for my 98 with little luck, I found a 2000 one and everything works except the wipers are on high and won't shut off.
If your 98 still has the factory wiper switch it will do that. You have to have matching switches and GEM/CTM from 99-up.

Check out my how to change your switch to a Lincoln Towncar Chrome switch:

http://www.ranger-forums.com/interior-exterior-electrical-123/how-lincoln-town-car-turn-signal-switch-118910/

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals