• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Xenon 9007 bulbs and ceramic sockets

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Last year I bought these xenon 9007 bulbs on ebay for my Ranger http://www.ebay.com/itm/231462045552?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT they are the stock 55/65 watt only they put out a nice bright white light.
As soon as I plugged them in I had a problem with them, one was very bright and one was very dim. I returned them and the seller sent me a replacement set. I installed the 2nd set of bulbs and they worked a few times. Then I was driving and noticed one of my head lights was dim again. I was thinking these cheap china bulbs are junk. I went to walmart and bought a pair of of Sylvania ZXE bulbs for about $45, plugged them in, in the parking lot and one was dim. I returned them. The problem must be the sockets not the bulbs. I installed a pair of new sockets from Napa Auto parts. The looked like cheap china sockets but they seemed to work good a few times. Until last night. One of my head lights was dim again. I wiggled the the socket and the light got bright. Bent the connectors in a little so the make better contact with the bulb and the light is working fine. I don't think the problem is heat related because I have not run the lights for very long and I don't see any signs of melting. I think the factory sockets were just old and worn. My new sockets were china junk. I now have ordered a pair of ceramic sockets.http://www.ebay.com/itm/390362945799?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT They cost less for the pair with shipping than what I paid for one of the china plugs form Napa Auto Parts. These new plugs are probably made in china also, they just look like much better quality. I see brass looking wire ends and copper wire as well as the ceramic plug. I want to keep the super bright white lights because to look so much better above my LED running lights. With the stock wattage I don't feel I should need a relay wire harness in use these bulbs. I'm thinking I just need better sockets. What do you guys think ?

Last edited:

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
I have been using those kind of bulbs for 3 or 4 years. I got about 8 on ebay, for less than 1 bulb cost at local parts stores. They were from China but for that price I figured it be OK if they didn't last.I just had to get some more the other day and when I put the new ones in the beam isn't as defined, it's like the different lines in the lense are making it look more spread out and not lighting up the road very far. Sorry if the discription is hard to understand. I didn't think the bulb would cause that but all I did was change the bulb?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals