• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Roughe idle

explorer98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
explorer
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Got a 98 explorer with a 5.0. At an idle it runs really rough and if you put it gear it starts popping out the exhaust. Or if it is just at an idle and you put a load on it will start popping. An suggestions? :icon_confused:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Same symptom cold or warmed up?
And runs fine other than at idle?
No codes?

With engine warmed unplug the IAC Valve.
Idle should drop to 500rpms or engine may even stall, either is good it means IAC Valve is working.

You could just have dirty injectors, run a can of Seafoam in the gas tank, that will clean them up.
Dirty injectors drip fuel at idle, instead of spraying fuel, this causes a leaner mix which can cause misfires and then the popping noises.

You could also have coil issue causing a misfire(or two) which dumps oxygen and raw fuel into the exhaust pipe which can ignite from a firing cylinders exhaust hitting it causing the popping., the extra oxygen also causes O2 to show Lean and computer adds more fuel making it worse.
Coil Packs can be odd ducks, you can test them with an OHM meter and it will show if a coil in the pack is bad, but..........even if it tests good it can still be bad, so worth while to test but doesn't mean it is good.
Google: testing Ford Coil Packs the easy way
Good video How-to

I would expect a lean code with these:
Dirty MAF sensor cause lean mix, easy to clean this
Vacuum leak, if unplugging IAC valve doesn't drop the idle this could be the problem, not the IAC itself.
4.0l lower intakes are known for having their bolts back out a bit and then you get a vacuum leak, easy to check these for tightness, torque spec is not much, 18 or 20ftlbs I think.

explorer98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
explorer
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Seems to run the same hot or cold. I cant get it to throw a code. All the injectors are new same with the coils and plugs. I'll try unplugging the IAC and see what that does. Could a bad plug wire make it do any of that?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, you have a waste spark system, that means each coil runs 2 cylinders and they are wired in series, meaning if one fails to spark the other may as well.
Misfires can cause the popping as said above.

New used to mean we tested it and "it works"
New now means "never tested" but we give you a warranty

Spark plugs are not pre-gapped even though they look like they are.
Injectors are stock size, right?
Over-sized can cause your issues

Double check firing order since coils have been changed, although I would expect trouble at higher RPMs as well.

Water in the gas will also cause your symptoms, i.e. "bad gas"

Last edited:

explorer98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
explorer
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah the injectors are stock. It had a misfire before and I found that two wires on the coil plug had rubbed together and was grounding out the coil pack. That was with the old coils, but I'll check and make sure both coils are good and make sure each plug is getting spark.

explorer98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
explorer
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Found out what was going on. My throttle body gasket was leaking pretty good. So ordered a new one and will see what happens.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That should have been detected when you unplugged the IAC Valve and idle didn't drop to 500?

Yes, vacuum leak would be a problem, lean mix

explorer98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
explorer
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah when I went to unplug the IAC I felt air blowing. It sounded like an exhaust leak that's why I didn't think anything of it. It was the gasket that goes in between the throttle body and the plenum.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals