• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Security/keyless entry 1995 ranger 4.0l

pintobobster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
HELP!!
Just got my first Ranger :yahoo:, and having issues with security/keyless entry...
ive checked and did the ignition key turn five (5) times and my door locks cycled :yahoo: ...

so went and got my remotes to program into system, NOW the five key ignition turn does NOTHING will not cycle my locks :icon_confused:
(as stated before it did) so I know it worked before :bawling:,

so help is needed..... I have car knowledge been doing my own repairs for years, ive checked fuses, that's a given!! ive checked the door buttons they work fine locking unlocking the doors, the security light on the dash (theft light) WAS working and now it is not flashing as it had before ..... what am I missing??

cant program my remotes until the locks cycle...

HELP this first time Ranger owner out

Thanks Bob

pintobobster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
DID I POST IN THE WRONG AREA?? Im new to this forum... could uae some help

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
We do have a subforum for electrical... but my guess is that no one with the knowledge that you need has yet read the post.

I personally have not had to do this with my 97, but a suggestion would be to unhook your battery for a half hour or so and then hook it back up and try again.

Again, not sure if the above will work, just a suggestion. Give it a few days and I am sure someone will pop in with the knowledge you need.

Good luck, and welcome to TRS!

I will also move the thread to the proper sub forum, that should give you some more exposure to the experts :)

AJ

pintobobster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
We do have a subforum for electrical... but my guess is that no one with the knowledge that you need has yet read the post.

I personally have not had to do this with my 97, but a suggestion would be to unhook your battery for a half hour or so and then hook it back up and try again.

Again, not sure if the above will work, just a suggestion. Give it a few days and I am sure someone will pop in with the knowledge you need.

I will also move the thread to the proper sub forum, that should give you some more exposure to the experts :)

AJ

yes I have did battery disconnect, I have checked all fuses, I have pulled out the GEM box behind radio, found that the key/light/door ajar buzzer has been cut out of GEM box haven't gotten to the RAP?? behind the drivers side rear panel yet, second question is IF need to replace the RAP does it have to be of same numbers?? or just one that has the keyless/security functions? (power window/locks)

this has me stumped I have googled until my fingers had ached, NOTHING anywhere about this issue, only issues I have been reading are people that want to disable this function lol
thanks in advance

:icon_confused:
:annoyed:
:popcorn:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I had a bit of experience with my 96 wiring and security. However, mine was aftermarket (viper), and was driving me nuts so I found the information about disabling the whole thing by disconnecting one of the two connectors under the dash.

No more sirens and horns blaring every time I opened the door and inserted the key.

This is probably useless for you, but everything else worked fine (no power locks though) by unplugging the connector...if you want it to work as intended you may need to contact a dealership...I doubt that having the information you need publicly available would be a good thing for security systems...just think of all the people that would take advantage of working around a security system!

pintobobster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I had a bit of experience with my 96 wiring and security. However, mine was aftermarket (viper), and was driving me nuts so I found the information about disabling the whole thing by disconnecting one of the two connectors under the dash.

No more sirens and horns blaring every time I opened the door and inserted the key.

This is probably useless for you, but everything else worked fine (no power locks though) by unplugging the connector...if you want it to work as intended you may need to contact a dealership...I doubt that having the information you need publicly available would be a good thing for security systems...just think of all the people that would take advantage of working around a security system!

Thanks Mark_88
well as it is yes anybody can take advantage of my truck lol
yes was just hoping a little more trouble shooting to try and fix, what the dealer charges ill probably put in my own after market alarm.
there are other issue's
no cruise control light, no check gauges light with low fuel, no door/key/light chime (found that to be little module in GEM pulled out by previous owner)
I have fixed the courtesy light, door ajar, and the check engine (purposely broken the bulb by previous owner to hide the cam shaft positioning sensor had gone out)
just looking for trouble shooting, as it worked then POF stopped when I bought the FOB's lol
thanks for your input
Robert

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Robert, sounds like you're having gem issues. Double check to see all wiring has been repaired to gem, verify you have power to the security module (you can use any numbered security module, however, the 5 digit number on the security module is the master key, so if you change this, make sure the replacement numbers can be read as this will be your new master unlock code) and go from there.
As you've found out, the gem controls interior light functions, as well as various other functions, including having a part in the door lock circuit operations...

SVT

pintobobster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
YES I got it fixed to awhile had to read posts on Other forums but did it and got it fixed... WHEW happy ranger owner again

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Post up your findings. What was the problem/fix?

SVT

pintobobster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Post up your findings. What was the problem/fix?

SVT
ended up changing the GEM, and the KEYLESS ENTRY modules, shop that replaced my crank positioning sensor fried them, did not disconnect the battery and of course would not own up to it but hey $250.00 later I fixed it, GEM behind the radio and then the KEYLESS ENTRY in the EXT CAB behind drivers side rear jump seat, and found the numbers on the modules and replaced with same numbers and no FORD DEALER reprogram was needed,

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Good to hear you got it done! Congratulations...sometimes worth that little extra effort...and cash.

When I researched my issue I found information that mentioned the connectors behind the driver seat...I could not find anything there that would help...but I did find the ones under the dash...that I must say were quite the mess.

Was yours an after market brand or factory?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals