• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

anti theft dual ignition switch help

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
hey all,

on our 83 ranger build, we are nearing the time to start to place all the cab's interior together. now that i still have the dash apart and easy access to all the wiring harness, i want to wire in a secondary ignition switch to help prevent theft.

IE: both switches (key and push) need to be activated at the same time to get power to the starter relay.

Question is.... where is the best place to splice in this second switch? at the key's wires, the starter? the relay? and should this secondary be fused? if so what size?

this build is a V8 conversion, with dual batteries and electric fan. one batt for starting only and other for all other stuff. already own the dual batt splitter and goodies.

thanks for reading, and any info grateful.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I would find the wire for the starter relay, at the existing ignition switch, probably a red/blue wire, and interrupt that. No fuse would be needed for that setup.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not quite sure what "activated at the same time" means to you?

So you have to hold the key in the START position and push the START button at the same time?
And either one by itself wouldn't allow starter motor to activate?

Then yes, what adsm08 said would do that.

I put a relay on Reverse Light switch circuit(manual trans) so starter would only work if trans was in Reverse, and that relay Grounded the starter relay on the fender, I did that because hood wasn't the locking type so any one with a screwdriver could do the "jump relay" thing, lol, but if starter relay wasn't grounded that wouldn't work.
That was on an old Ford I had, not a Ranger

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
hi ads, thanks for the reply, i will track down the proper wire and take it from the steering column. just wasn't sure best place to splice the feed.

hi ron, yes you nailed it. one without the other will not start the truck. both need to be used at the same time to close the circuit. pretty sneaky relay system you made on your old ford.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals