• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Overheated

Wild Child

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I lost a heater hose on the way home today. On the factory gauge, the temp went almost immediately to between the letter M and the letter A in normal. As soon as I saw the steam and the gauge go up, I shut the truck off and fixed the bad hose. I drove her home with full water and the temp never went over the normal spot between the O and the R before dropping back to the N again. I hear no engine miss. There's no steam from the exhaust. There's nothing abnormal other than water in my cooling system as of right now.

I'm posting this because I was wondering how hot this little engine will get before it pops the head. My Explorer of the same year normally runs at that temp between the M and the A, but it has a different engine. I was just looking for anyone who has overheated theirs and may know if I did any damage. The engine in the Ranger is a Vulcan 3.0L. The truck is a 94 extra cab 2WD with a 5 speed. Thanks for the help. I'll be running pressure tests over the next few days and I always check fluids before I start it. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for any help.

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You shouldnt have any problems whatsoever. If you shut it down as soon as the hose popped off then it didn't really even have a chance of getting too hot. Now if you ran it for an hour with a hose off then you have a problem.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I agree ^^^

Temp gauge would have to go to max and be there for a few minutes to crack a head or blow head gasket.
Metal expands when heated, head and gasket are made to expand and contract within a certain heat range.
If overheated the metal can crack from too much expansion, and the head gasket can get crushed between expanding metal parts.

Those that have had slight overheating and a blown head gasket have it backwards, the head gasket blew which caused the overheating, blown head gasket increases pressure in the cooling system fairly quickly so can blow off a hose or split one at a weak spot, so cause and effect can often be reversed by mistake.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, you didn't really overheat the engine with what you described. What you saw on the gauge happened because the sender for the coolant temp is meant to read water temp and not air temp, when it is out of the water and in the air it doesn't read accurately.

Dprocks100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My brother has a 91 3.0 in his ranger. It has overheated twice in its life, both times puking coolant into the reservoir and sending steam through the hood. Both times he has not had to fix anything other than the reason it over heated (Previous owner installed 4.0 fan instead of 3.0 fan, and forgot to remove cardboard on warm day in winter). I'm pretty sure your engine is fine, just as long as your not mysteriously loosing coolant. Like RonD said, your gauge really has to be at max for a little bit to do a lot of damage.

Wild Child

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info. I didn't think it was hot enough to cause any damage. I wasn't sure because I don't have much experience with Ford's 3.0L Vulcan. I have seen 3.8Ls pop head gaskets really easy and wasn't sure if the 3.0L had similar issues. Even though the 3.0 has iron heads, I didn't know if the castings were thin or not. I did know lots of people say the 3.0 is a really tough little engine. That is why I opted to get one in my Ranger when I bought it. I was looking for a 2.3 truck and saw this one for sale, so I went for it. I did know I didn't want a 4.0 because it was gonna be my daily driver and I wanted to get better mpg than my 4.0. So far I'm happy with the choice. After driving my buddy's 2.3 truck I'm glad I didn't go that route because his truck seems underpowered, especially pulling the hills I drive every day.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals