• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

saved from the scrap yard

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
yea i actually showed him video of it starting right up. he planned to get a new truck and now drives an 09 f150 4x4 with a 5.4
Sounds to me like it was just an excuse to tell his wife he was going to need a new truck because the shop "told him" his old truck was toast. Although its getting harder to find good mechanics anymore, sure aren't any left around where I live. Even the lube shops around here I wouldn't trust with any vehicle, not even a lawnmower.

My question is how the hell do you mis-diagnose a seized A/C compressor for a broken crankshaft WTF kind of nonsense is that?

Rangered06

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1987
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6/2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds to me like it was just an excuse to tell his wife he was going to need a new truck because the shop "told him" his old truck was toast. Although its getting harder to find good mechanics anymore, sure aren't any left around where I live. Even the lube shops around here I wouldn't trust with any vehicle, not even a lawnmower.

My question is how the hell do you mis-diagnose a seized A/C compressor for a broken crankshaft WTF kind of nonsense is that?
well i cant say this or that about the wife but i did plan to buy it from him before she shut down just helped the price a bit =) only thing i take my trucks in for is an alignment due to not haveing required tools... even then im watching like a hawk while they do it.

from what i can tell is they just drained the oil maybe saw a couple shavings in the oil and figured thats why it wouldnt restart. if only they pulled the belt and tried turning the crank like me LOL

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
good score!!!

i have 2 stories like this.... we had a 94 explorer that was in need of tlc and angie was looking through craigslist when she found an ad for 94 explorer for parts because of blown trans. we go look at it. the lady wants 500. we start it up, 150K kms. (100K miles give or take) angie puts it in gear and it wants to run.... hmmm ..... we buy it, tow it home, and i put 4 liters or trans oil in it and been driving it ever since. :)

2nd, i was looking for another early 90's ranger 4L auto, or parts for my 92, on craigs there is a listing for parts truck for 500, i go look at it for it is in great shape. guy says there is blown head gasket, (his mechanic told him) this is why it over heats....
i buy it, head gaskets are easy.... not the problem, i put thermostat in it, change the clutch fan, and put in mechanical gauge to keep closer watch. can't get it over 200F.

brand new winter tires on this truck alone were 500. i love dumb people.....

cheers

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
good score!!!

i have 2 stories like this.... we had a 94 explorer that was in need of tlc and angie was looking through craigslist when she found an ad for 94 explorer for parts because of blown trans. we go look at it. the lady wants 500. we start it up, 150K kms. (100K miles give or take) angie puts it in gear and it wants to run.... hmmm ..... we buy it, tow it home, and i put 4 liters or trans oil in it and been driving it ever since. :)

2nd, i was looking for another early 90's ranger 4L auto, or parts for my 92, on craigs there is a listing for parts truck for 500, i go look at it for it is in great shape. guy says there is blown head gasket, (his mechanic told him) this is why it over heats....
i buy it, head gaskets are easy.... not the problem, i put thermostat in it, change the clutch fan, and put in mechanical gauge to keep closer watch. can't get it over 200F.

brand new winter tires on this truck alone were 500. i love dumb people.....

cheers
Wow. Maybe I need to start reading through people's part outs instead...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had firestone put true duals on my '02 F-150, one pipe had an extra "puttery" sound to it. Took it back and they said it probably had a valve problem...

I said "yeah right" since the thing ran beautiful both before and after the exhuast. 50k miles later when I replaced the glasspacks with new ones the sound went away. Kinda makes me glad I didn't turn the clowns loose on my 55k mile engine.

Good score on yours, the 4.6 is a pretty underrated engine. When my brother changed the barely seeping pan gasket in his '97 when he regeared it still had crosshatch in the bores at 150k.

BTW for towing they do like RPM, if you can find deeper gears it will impress you. :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

Rangered06

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1987
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6/2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Not the prettiest of fixes but its holding and got rid of the leak :yahoo:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals