• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine Swap

CowBoyDave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What engines can fit inside of a 1988 Ranger XLT. I have the 2.9, but looking to go a little bigger without changing a lot. If that is possible. And if nothing else does, where can I get those lowest costing engine rebuild kit(master)?

Thanks for any info.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
With enough money and fabrication skills you can put any engine you want in there :)

But for quick/cheap/and effective I would swap in an early 90s 4.0. Almost plug and play and there are some really good write ups in the tech library on it.

AJ

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2.9l and 4.0l OHV('90-'00) use the same block, so motor mounts and transmission bell housings match up.

2.9l = 140 horse power
4.0l OHV = 160HP

But the swap to 4.0l would also require full engine wiring swap with some parts(MAF sensor setup) and 4.0l computer.

Any other engine swap would require the same but also another transmission to match new block.

Good info here, on the 2.9l and swapping engines: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index-engine-fuel.shtml

You can just rebuild the 2.9l but not up grade it's internals for more HP
Your current computer setup uses Speed Density software to calculate air/fuel mix, this is programmed for the stock 2.9l engine, what this means is that if you were to add a bigger Cam or turbo the software wouldn't be able to add more fuel because it can't "see" the higher air flow into the engine, so the upgrades wouldn't change power by much.
You can of course change computer software, although that is not inexpensive.

Ford switched to MAF(mass air flow) sensor and software in the early '90s on some engines, this allowed you to increase air flow and get more fuel in each cylinder so more power to the wheels.

ebay often has good deals on rebuild kits

CowBoyDave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the Info you guys. I guess I will just need to see what I want to do. I will need to at the thread. Thanks Again.

CowBoyDave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2.9l and 4.0l OHV('90-'00) use the same block, so motor mounts and transmission bell housings match up.

2.9l = 140 horse power
4.0l OHV = 160HP

But the swap to 4.0l would also require full engine wiring swap with some parts(MAF sensor setup) and 4.0l computer.

Any other engine swap would require the same but also another transmission to match new block.

Good info here, on the 2.9l and swapping engines: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index-engine-fuel.shtml

You can just rebuild the 2.9l but not up grade it's internals for more HP
Your current computer setup uses Speed Density software to calculate air/fuel mix, this is programmed for the stock 2.9l engine, what this means is that if you were to add a bigger Cam or turbo the software wouldn't be able to add more fuel because it can't "see" the higher air flow into the engine, so the upgrades wouldn't change power by much.
You can of course change computer software, although that is not inexpensive.

Ford switched to MAF(mass air flow) sensor and software in the early '90s on some engines, this allowed you to increase air flow and get more fuel in each cylinder so more power to the wheels.

ebay often has good deals on rebuild kits
Where could I look to change the software?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

2.9l = 140 horse power
4.0l OHV = 160HP

It's not the 20 more Hp that makes the difference... It's the 50 more ft-lbs of torque.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
And all thst torque at about 2700 rpm..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Since most vehicles use MAF now the Speed Density software is getting scarce, check Moates they may still have it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals