• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 Explorer 5.0L Into 2000 Ranger PCM Reprogramming

mrm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'd like to swap a 96 Explorer 5.0L engine into my 2000 2.5L 5 speed Ranger. I want to stick with a 5 speed transmission - probably a Tremec. If I go to the trouble to keep the 5.0L fuel injected, I'd like for all of the Ranger's insturments to work correctly including the check engine light. Since I'll be going from an automatic transmission in the Explorer to a manual transmission in the Ranger, reprogramming of the Explorer PCM will be necessary to make the Ranger instrumentation work correctly. The Explorer PCM will also have to receive and process input from the clutch pedal position sensor. Does anyone know if this type of PCM reprogramming is possible and, if it is, who can do it? Thanks for your help.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Not to be insulting, but to convert an Explorer 5.0 GT-40 engine to a carb
and to delete the EDIS8 ignition system is something that could only be undertaken by a vandal... or an idiot.

The funny part of this swap is how neatly the explorer engine fits into the '00 Ranger engine bay... a friend of mine got an explorer engine and to keep it safe we set it on my '01 Ranger rolling frame. (rather than leaving it in my truck or cluttering up my garage)

IT's simply amazing how neatly the engine fits... IF you have the Explorer engine mounts (which ARE different from the Ranger engine mounts, but they bolt right to the frame.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think he said is wants to keep the fuel injection, just looking for manual trans PCM change.

You might look for a '96 F150 5.0l 5-speed PCM

PCM reprogramming runs about $400 not sure if manual/auto swap is part of that, I know they can remove PATS check.

Your 2000 Ranger will have PATS module above glove box(behind passenger airbag), I think this controls starter relay, so that could be an issue, and not sure how the anti-theft light reacts if PATS is removed completely, i.e. will it flash or just be dead(off)

Good general info here on V8 conversions: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index-conversions.shtml

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No PAT's on a 2000 4 cylinder, only problem OP will have is deleating the auto trans functions. Couple guys on the different sites do that for $200-250.
Dave

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals