• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 explorer 302 ECU change

yonu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
/ford
Transmission
Manual
ok all I have a couple stupid questions

I just picked up a low-mileage 302 from a 98 Explorer to replace the blown 302 in my boat(yes I know the whole car/boat engine arguments). what I would like to do since the ecu is so involved/intergrated on the 98 302s how much work would I be looking at to use the ecu and harness from a 89 EFI towncar as I have a spare from mt efi swap to my 79 F100. If not feasible how much do I need to tune out of the 98 ECU to just get it running even badly?

Thanks,
Yonu

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
You'd have to change cams. You can swap the ecu to a 96-97 explorer 5.0, or go with an older 89-93 A9L ecu and harness...

SVT

yonu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
/ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok let me first say thanks for the reply.

Now for the stupid questions that go with your response.

1. I assume the swap of the can happens with which ever ecu I use due to position sensor differences?

2. If I use a 96-97 ecu what am I looking at besides a ecupinout change and I mean as to how it will work without o2 sensors and such.

3. If I use the 89-93 harness and ecu what am I looking at in changing the harness differences I know about sensors as I never moved the exaust o2 sensors to my 79 f100 and she runs like a dream.

Thanks,
Yonu

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals