• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

wire harness used for 4.6l swap

joshcorey56

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I am swapping in a 4.6l out of a 1997 f150 into a 1999 ranger. What quitting harness do you use to go from the three plugs in the firewall to goto the computer? I had a 4 cylinder in the truck. I have the whole wiring harness from under the hood out of the f150 that plugs into the firewall but when I turn the key nothing happens. Abd when the battery is hooked up the high beam indicator light comes on but the lights don't work. Do i need to use a harness it if a ranger and just plug in my computer from the dinner truck? I'm not new to engine swaps but I've never done a fuel injected motor yet. Basically just big blocks and stuff. I will not out a 5.0 in the ranger either unless it's the coyote and there way to much money. Any input will be appreciated

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just because the connectors might be the same, does not mean that the wires/pins go to the same things. There is no harness that you can simply plug in to get a 4.6 to run in a Ranger.

You're going to have to get wiring schematics or EVTMs for both the donor vehicle and your Ranger. You'll have to use those wiring diagrams to determine if you can simply repin the harness, or if certain wires/circuits will have to be eliminated or added/extended. It's a big job, and there aren't many who have chosen to go that route but it has been done.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I recently pulled a 4.6 SOHC from a customers truck ( 97 f150 4x4), and installed a 4 valve 4.6. If you plan to use the f150's harness, you'll basically have to pull the entire harness apart and go wire by wire. It's not going to start without a tune because of pats, so you also have that to deal with. A better bet (and what I'd do) would be to get an explorer 5.0 engine and trans wiring harness and modify it to fit the 4.6, using the f150 ecu. Again, you'll need to deal with pats. You can wire in the required components and make it work but you'll need a trip to a dealer to introduce the pats components if you dont get them all from the same donor (I've done this as well). Wiring wise, there isn't much more, if any, wires a 4.6 has that a pushrod 5.0 don't have. Like stmitch said, you'll need the EVTM from both the donor and the truck your performing the swap on, and you may need a third EVTM from the donor you get the engine harness from...

SVT

TNT6751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
if i were you i would pull the computer and wiring harness from the donor car and use them in the truck u put the motor in. that way it will connect

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
if i were you i would pull the computer and wiring harness from the donor car and use them in the truck u put the motor in. that way it will connect
While the donor harness could be used, its still not plug n play. A lot of wiring is needed...

SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals