• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

P0171 & p0174 Codes on 3.0 Ranger

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A properly operating EGR is not your problem. 01b3000ds doesn't know what he's talking about.

A small shop should have a graphing scanner to help analyze and charge less hourly rate than dealer.

01b3000ds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
00ranger3.0 - I said DEFEAT, not delete. defeating allows un-defeating if necessary for emissions testing. There's also a possible PCV re-route to take that a step further. PM me for more details

I haven't said anything about the codes, Rearanger; not til now anyway. if they're not vacuum leaks (I think the OP tested for leaks after their gasket replacements), unmetered air is sneaking in somewhere ahead of the upstream o2 sensor on that bank (bank 2 is passenger side). check that your exhaust connections are sound, right from the manifold.

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Okay, I'll chime in......I had my cat changed & o2 sensor R/R after getting a O174 code-

00ranger3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Might be on to something.... Might not.... Help! LOL

ok guys i didnt break down just yet and send it to ford.

i have a quest for your guys.

just for kicks i cleared the P0171 & P0174 codes today and unplugged the mass air flow sensor. i went for a ride about 2 miles and only got a code for the MAF sensor P0102. The 0171 & 0174 did not come on. i came back home cleared the MAF code. plugged it back in and went for the same short ride and bam both codes back on.

I already tried cleaning the MAF sensor twice already.

My question is...Does the MAF seem to be the culprit of my 0171 & 0174 codes or no because its not reading properly in the ECM.

let me know what you guys think before a spend another 70 bucks on a MAF sensor lol.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I believe that when you disconnect the MAF the engine runs on factory presets for load/rpm fuel trims.

You can test the MAF, just do a Goggle on how.

00ranger3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Replaced the MAF today and took off the battery terminals for about 10 minutes. Let her warm up. took her for several rides and no Lights have come back on. Idling even better, shifting better and alot better acceleration. only time will tell. i logged about 20 miles today and still running good with no lights. ill let you guys know in a few days how its going. and again thanks for everyone's help.

00ranger3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
p0171 & 0174 Codes solved

just wanted to give you guys an update. i know its been a while but the MAF did the trick. no codes since the replacement. Definitely not expected after cleaning it 2 different times. but o well shes running great. im sure after her sitting for a year and a half majority of the other EVAP system components i replaced were due anyway so now i have piece of mind for a while.... at least hopefully.

thanks for your help ! :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals