• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 5.0 Swap Attempt...

MudSlanger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
SWAP COMPLETE

Truck: 2000 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0 FFV 4x4

Explorer: 1999 Ford Explorer EB edition 5.0 2wd

Parts List:
-Complete Explorer 5.0L engine with all accessories
-Engine Wiring Harness
-PCM
-Battery cable harness
-Cruise cable
-Throttle cable
-Radiator hoses
-high pressure power steering hose and PS cooling line
-A/C lines
-Torque Monster Headers and Catalytic converters
-2wd Transmission(4R70W)
-Advance Adapter(AOD to BW transfercase adapter kit)
-Airbox, MAF, Zip tube, and Airbox tray
-Ranger Radiator
-Taurus E-Fan with Temp controller kit(70amp relay)
-5.0L Motor Mounts and Transmission Mount

Notes: Im using my existing Ranger randiator for the time being. If I have cooling issues then ill swap it out. I opted to buy a Taurus Efan and wiring kit for my truck. Hopefully this will keep my motor nice and cool. Im keeping my original Borg Warner Transfer Case in my truck but I need to buy an adapter kit for this. Advance Adapters makes a kit that replaces the output shaft and tail housing on your 4R70W transmission. Im taking the transmission down to a transmission shop because they have to rip open my transmission in order to replace the output shaft. Tail housing just bolts on over that output shaft in the rear of the tranny. The power steering hose that connects to the bottom of the resivor to the PS cooler on the ranger isnt long enough so you need to take the one from the explorer and install it. Also the Power Steering Cooler Brackets need to be bent down some in order for the oil pan to clear it. Its pretty soft metal so its easy to bend. 5.0 Motor Mounts and Transmission Mounts will bolt straight into the Ranger. I was installing the Explorer AirBox in my Ranger and found out that the Ranger tray is too small to fit explorer airbox on soooo you will need to swap that tray out too. The tray doesnt fit directly in the ranger so you will need to drill 2 new holes and put a sheet metal screw in there. I had to cut a part of the tray because it was coming in contact with a part of something in my engine bay, easy fix. The Battery Cable Harness I got from the explorer WILL NOT plug into the ranger chasis harness so what i did here was cut the wire loom on my Ranger Battery Cable Harness to take out the wires needed to plug in the Ranger chasis harness. The only thing needed to do is you might need to extend 1 wire to the starter. You can use your ground wiring(Big Black Wires) from the Ranger but you must use the Explorer Power wires(The big red wires going to fuse box, other going to starter). I opted for the Torque Monster Headers because they increase MPG and increase power. The factory Explorer exhaust manifolds are restrictive and hurts the motors performance. These are pricey but well worth it. Exhaust will need to be takin down to a shop and have them reroute your piping to make it fit properly or unless you have welding skills, then DIY. Im having my Truck towed down to the dealership to have my Ranger PATS and Keys synced with the Explorer Computer. That should be it, ill add as I go if I think of anything else.

Im going to add to this a little bit. The Advanced Adapter kit that i got is only 5 inchs, I wish they would have made a 6 or 7 inch adater becuase i had to get both my driveshafts worked. The rear needed to be lengthened about an 1 1/2 inches and the front needed to be shortened 1 1/2 inches. No biggie but wish i would have known this earlier. I do not think i have anything else about this swap that you need to know. Have any questions, please feel free to ask!!

Tips:
Ranger/Explorer Comparisions: Vehicle, Speed, Fuel and PATS
The 99-01 Explorer has the ABS/VSS from Rear Axle, No Fuel Return Line (Returnless) (56-72 psi), AND PATS(Type B)
The 99-00 Ranger has the ABS/VSS from Rear Axle, No Fuel Return Line(Returnless) (56-72 psi), AND PATS(Type B)

Advance Adapters:

This is WRONG INFO... When i measured this way, the 4R70W was 20.5inches long from bellhousing to where the tailhousing bolts on. The transmission in my truck measured 29.5 inches from bellhousing to transfercase. Cool, with those measurements i thought 9 inch adapter kit. Come to find out, when i installed the 5.0 in the truck and attempted to do a test fit with the transmission with the adapter on, it was too long. looks like the 5.0 sits further back in the transmission section about 4 inchs. So 5 inches is the right one i need now. Im guessing this is the measurement for all XLT rangers...
Measuring for the adapter:

Measure your stock transmission from the front of the bell housing back to the flange where the transfer case bolts to the transmission tailhousing. Now, measure the distance from the front of your new 4R70W back to where the tailhousing bolts on. In the photo below, you will see the new tailhousing bolted on for an idea of where to stop measuring to. Subtract the distance of the new 4R70W minus the tailhousing from the measurement you took from your original transmission back to the transfer case. The difference in length will tell you how long of a tailhousing you need to keep the Ranger transfer case in the stock location.
Tachometer:
Here's how you modify your Ranger tachometer for V-8 use:

1) Get your dash apart and disconnect the cluster
2) If you have a EVTM turn to the Instrument cluster section
3) Locate Pin 8 on wire connector C216 (Black/Yellow Wire)
4) Use a very small flathead screwdriver to release the pin from the connector housing
5) Find Connector C214 (largest of the 3 for cluster)
6) Install the wire removed from C216 in to slot 16 on C214. This slot is currently vacant.
7) Put everything back together and fire it up. You're all done.
Speedometer:
1998-2000 Rangers: 1999-2001 Explorer uses the same type of speedometer system as the 1998-2000 Ranger - no modifications needed. The 1998-2000 Rangers are not equipped with a VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) receives vehicle speed information from the antilock brake system rear wheel speed sensor. The raw signal from the ABS/VSS sensor on the rear axle goes directly to the Explorer 4WABS module where the signal is corrected for tire diameter. Then the corrected signal is sent to the PCM, speed control, cluster, etc. In this system, the PCM is an end user of the corrected VSS signal.
PATS:
The 1999-2001 Explorer PATS is 100% compatible with a 1999-2000 V6 Ranger. If the Explorer PATS module and keys are also transplanted to the Ranger, they should work immediately with the Explorer PCM. If the original Ranger PATS module and keys are reused with the Explorer PCM, a dealer would have to "introduce" the new parts to each other before the engine could start.
My 5.0 Motor inside the Explorer :)

Here's My Progress so far:
The 5.0 Motor

The 3.0 Being Ripped out

Let it alllll drain out....

BYE BYE 3.SLOWWWWW

5.0L Motor Mount(pass side)

Cruise Control Cable

Throttle cable

High Pressure Power Steering Hose(kinda hard to see, but in that manifold of 4 fittings, its the bottom right hand side in the pic)

INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

And These Torque Monster Headers :)

Ill add to this as I go on, this is where i stopped. I still need some parts to come in before i finish. Transmission still needs to be taken down once i get the adapter plate in. Almost done, cant wait to fire her up and see how she performs :)

Last edited:

tony314

Firefighter
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
If I know how to swap and do all the conversions I would to my 02 ranger. Looking like it is coming along well.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Looks good. Keep up the good work.

MudSlanger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Great documentation so far, are you planning any other mods?? What do you have planned for the exhaust??, The heater box, any mods inside the cab, or just bolt on the exp heater box??
SVT

MudSlanger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Great documentation so far, are you planning any other mods?? What do you have planned for the exhaust??, The heater box, any mods inside the cab, or just bolt on the exp heater box??
SVT
Im not sure what you mean by heater box? I didnt need to swap heater boxes. I have the Torque Monster Headers. Im going with a 40 series flowmaster dual in/dual out and retaining all cats. I also just bought the Explorer Express Intake system and that should be it for mods with this motor. :) Not makin it a race truck at all. Just giving the truck enough power to turn my big tires. The Cab will get some treatment once i get the powertrain completed 100%.:icon_thumby:

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
I'm impressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(but i git de-pressed when i compare my documentation.....LOL)

five.0l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
dose that motor have the gt40 heads
most explores came gt 40 head buti for get what year

MudSlanger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
This motor has the GTP heads

MudSlanger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Got some more work done.. Installed the last Power Steering hose up and filled the Power Steering up with fluid. Put Oil in the motor. Wiped some of the motor down(GOT LOTS MORE CLEANING TO DO). Attempted to install the Explorer Air Box tray but i have to cut it and move it over about 2 inches, drill new holes and mount it. Ill get it to work but it requires some modification. Also wrapped up most of the battery harness. The Ground cables are all in place.. Pretty much all i need now is to get the power wires all situated and extend the starter wire. Parts are still on order: Taraus Efan/Controller, Adapter for transmission and EE intake. Hoping by the end of this week or by this weekend Ill have it started :) Here are some more pics of the motor:

Still lots more cleaning to do to it... I need to put a hose to the Firewall for sure!!!

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Got some more work done..
How long have you been working on this swap for? Looks like you're move full speed a head. Looks nice though, probably won't be able to tell you swapped anything in there! :secret:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How long have you been working on this swap for? Looks like you're move full speed a head. Looks nice though, probably won't be able to tell you swapped anything in there! :secret:
Same question I was going to ask! I know of one out in Iowa who had the complete Explorer drive train in and up and running in a little over two weeks (had a little help). I know I've got to get moving, get off my ass and do it.
Dave

MudSlanger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well I sorta had to move fast.. I had the old motor out in one day, this 5.0L motor in the next day... The only reason why its taking me soo long to get this thing done right now is because im waiting on a adapter for the transmission, ONLY reason or I would have had this swap completed and running within a weekend!!! :(

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
this swap is coming wicked, your making awesome progress keep it up

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Looks Good! Keep The Progress up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals