• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

squeaky steering wheel

Woods-Rider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
my steering wheel squeaks when i turn it. i think there is just dust or something in it somewhere but i cant figure out how to get it off. it doesnt sound like its coming from the steering column, but from in the wheel its self. i have this style but mine is an '04.

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
My 91 explorer does the same thing but only in one spot. Could it be caused by the horn/cruise connections? Maybe they only need a little be of dielectric grease on them.

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There should be two bolts/screws on the back side of the wheel, and then you should be able to remove the airbag, and then i think it is a t55 torx bit to remove the wheel.
**BUT FIRST REMOVE A BATTERY TERMENAL AND LET IT SIT FOR 5-15 MIN TO DRAIN THE SYSTEM.**

Woods-Rider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
so i took it partially apart (dont have a T55 bit here at school) and cleaned/lubed some parts that i thought could be the source but it didnt help.

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
After you pull the wheel, there will be some contact rings back there, if you lay some dielectric, or white lithium grease and you should be good.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals