• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

transmission

Lowrange2

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Ok, my head is SWIMMING! AHHH!

I've been on the phone all morning and the only thing I've learned is that 90% of junk yard workers are cocky and "If I ain't seen it then it don't exist" is all they can say! I had one guy start cussin me on the phone that "there weren't never no dam c5 transmission in a broncoII". My response was to fax him proof that there was...

Anyways, I've about given up on the C5. I guess when I figure out exactly what I have to do electronically then I'll go that route. I need this thing in here. If only there was a write-up for exactly the swap I'm wanting to do....

To re-cap: I have a 84 or 85 BII (Not sure on the year) with a manual transmission behind a 2.8 V6. I WANT an automatic transmission behind that engine. What is the BEST/EASIEST way to make this happen?

What do I need to get to make this happen? I'm ready to pull the parts today!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
83-84 BII's or Rangers with 4x4 had the C5.

I know they exist because I have the tailhousing out of one in my truck right now.

Problem is only some of the first two years of production had them. By the time you figure the manuals and C3's there really are not that many of left for C5's... and they are getting uncomfortably close to 30 years old (as an '84 model myself :shok:)

The bellhousing should be pretty easy to find in theory because everybody loves to rob the tailhousing out of C5's for V8 swaps. Then you can plug that into a fullsize C4 case with a fullsize t-case. Make your driveshaft(s) to fit.

Or find a whole C5 minus the output shaft and tailhousing from a V8 swapper and put a C4 tailhousing/output shaft on it and run a fullsize t-case with custom shafts.

That is hypothetical, check it out, make sure it will work first and keep us posted. :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

Lowrange2

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info! I'll keep ya posted.

The Mud Addict

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 D-S
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6in
Tire Size
35x12.5x15 Pitbull rockers
I have an C-5 laying behind my garage from an '84 B2, sitting right next to the 302 and C-4, all are waiting to get put into my '85 B2:yahoo:

eclipse2001gt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,nissan
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Is 450 a good price for a MDO5 shipped to my door. Includes shifter and shifter boot and slave.

Lowrange2

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I have an C-5 laying behind my garage from an '84 B2, sitting right next to the 302 and C-4, all are waiting to get put into my '85 B2:yahoo:

How about ship it to me. I'm still rather confused...

So, from what I understand I can find a c5 from a 84 BII and it will bolt directly to my vehicle, adjust drive shaft length and drive down the road...?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals