• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Having trouble with my clutch I think...

sithways

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1993 Ford Ranger, 2 wheel drive, with a 2.3 liter engine.

I was driving down the freeway today when I shifted into 5th gear. As I engaged the clutch to shift the clutch got stuck and when I removed my foot from the gas pedal and it seemed like my foot was still on the gas pedal.

I eventually got it somewhere and turned the engine off. With the engine off I can engage the clutch and shift gears just fine. I looked in the clutch reservoir and it was really low. So I filled it and pumped the pedal. I was able to drive the truck normally for a little bit then it stuttered and died. When I tried to start the truck again in first gear it would drive forward, but the moment I engage the gas pedal it will stutter and die again.

I left it in a parking lot and went back to work. When I returned this afternoon I checked the fluid level again to see if maybe I had a leak in the slave or master cylinder and the fluids level was fine. If I start the truck and shift it into first it will move forward all by itself until I engage the gas pedal then it will stutter and die. The same with reverse.

Thank you!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not following the gas pedal part?

So with the clutch pedal to the floor the engine is still connected to the transmission, so clutch is not disengaged.
i.e. If you start the engine in Neutral, you can not shift it into 1st with clutch pedal to the floor.

Yes that reads like you either have a failed slave, master or air in the system.

Open the bleeder on the slave/bell housing
And see if fluid or air comes out
If air comes out you may need a helper to push in the clutch pedal and hold it down
With pedal down all the way, you tighten bleeder
have them let pedal come up all the way, then you open bleeder again
with bleeder open have them push down the pedal again.

Repeat this until no air is coming out of bleeder
refill reservoir

See if clutch is working again

sithways

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for your answer. Would that also cause the engine to stutter and stall out when engaging the gas pedal in your opinion?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
What Ron said is the first route you should check, but usually with a failed hydraulic system you won't be able to shift into gear at all with the engine running and pedal pushed in, or it will at least clunk or try to drive forward/backward a tiny bit when you try to push it into 1st or reverse.

It almost sounds like the transmission is stuck in two gears... if that is the case it's basically locked up, the shifter will still move but the two shafts inside the transmission will not move in any direction and the engine would sputter and die if you engaged the clutch, without a doubt.

That is a fairly unlikely scenario but it's possible if there are certain extremely worn parts. I have seen several get stuck in one gear, usually seems to be 3rd or 4th for whatever reason. Usually you just sort of "lose" a gear, it's still physically there but you can't ever use it. Super sloppy shifters and worn/missing shifter bushings are a BIG contributor to this in any case.

sithways

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
it does move forward or reverse when I am in 1st or reverse. And I can only shift when the truck is off. Then start it then it starts jumping forward or reverse a little

sithways

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Where do I access the master cylinder and the slave cylinder?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What Ron said is the first route you should check, but usually with a failed hydraulic system you won't be able to shift into gear at all with the engine running and pedal pushed in, or it will at least clunk or try to drive forward/backward a tiny bit when you try to push it into 1st or reverse.

It almost sounds like the transmission is stuck in two gears... if that is the case it's basically locked up, the shifter will still move but the two shafts inside the transmission will not move in any direction and the engine would sputter and die if you engaged the clutch, without a doubt.

That is a fairly unlikely scenario but it's possible if there are certain extremely worn parts. I have seen several get stuck in one gear, usually seems to be 3rd or 4th for whatever reason. Usually you just sort of "lose" a gear, it's still physically there but you can't ever use it. Super sloppy shifters and worn/missing shifter bushings are a BIG contributor to this in any case.
In my experience it seems to be pass/fail. If it locks in two gears you are done. If it pops out... you ain't getting it back into gear.

So I don't know if it is really the trans...

Put it in what you think is neutral, remove the boot/bezel the floor. There are three torx screws on top the shifter tower, take those out too. Remove the lever (watch for bushing parts on the shift lever) get a flashlight and look down into your transmission and see if all the slots are lined up (they should be) if not line them up with a long screwdriver. Carefully reinstall the shift lever so it is in the slots and reinstall the plate/bezel/boot. If it was the trans you should be able to get it home now. Shift carefully. If all was well your problems lie elsewhere.

M5OD shifters are cheap and easy to rebuild though, the bushing kit is like $15. Stub shafts are a few bucks at a JY and $25-30 online.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Are you sure, 100% SURE, that the brakes aren't locked up? My 92 Explorer came to me in part because the previous owner had destroyed the clutch and swore that it had started losing power and wouldn't move, wouldn't even roll in neutral... he thought it was the trans.

The passenger side rear brake drum was completely seized up.

I had like almost no tool with me when I picked it up and ended up prying the drum off and smashing the brake line so that it would release and could be flat towed home.

Just sayin'... maybe your parking brake is stuck on and that's why it sputters and dies? Jack up the truck and make sure each wheel spins freely.

The clutch slave cylinder is inside the transmission bellhousing and the master cylinder is on the firewall, underneath the brake booster.

sithways

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So I have to take off the tranny to get to the slave cylinder :(

planeflyer21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I have to take off the tranny to get to the slave cylinder :(
My single hugest pet peeve with the Mazda 5-speed.

Manufacturing corporations need to make their engineers get out of the office and into the shop, to take apart and reassemble all their own designs.

Things would change mighty fast.

sithways

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Okay I went back down and played with my truck. This is what happened. With the engine off and the clutch pedal pushed to the floor I can shit to every gear. When I turn the engine on I cannot shift into any gears. When I turned the engine off again and removed my foot from the clutch pedal it was stuck to the floor board until I pressed in again then it came back. Thank you guys for all your help I really appreciate it.

sithways

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Also, I replaced the clutch, slave cylinder and tranny in 2013

sithways

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have never replaced the master cylinder

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like the master or slave cylinder is dead. Doesn't matter how recently you changed the slave cylinder, new ones are often junk. My F-150 went 69k on the factory slave before the previous owner(s) were able to toast the clutch. I figured I would just put a new slave in with the new clutch. 5 slave cylinders in 5 years later, I changed the transmission to a heavier one with a different slave. I learned exactly what a blown slave cylinder feels like, lol.

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals