• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can't figure out speedo cable end w/cruise

blue83ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I recently did a transmission swap (A4LD to a C4) in my '86 4x4 ranger and i can't figure out how the speedometer cable goes together, and i know it goes in the t-case but i think most people think transmission when they think of the speedo. but anyway the problem is the center part of the cable doesn't seem to be long enough. i even bought a new one thinking mine was broke and it wasn't (end looked rough and blue) I have cruise control also. and with the cruise part on the cable, it sticks through but there's another aluminum piece that has the gear clipped on it, which the end is corroded and broke but i think i can rig it to work yet. but the cable isn't even close to going through it to the gear. I guess the easiest way to figure this out is if someone has an exploded view of the end of a speedometer cable for an '86 4x4 with cruise or if someone would happen to know what, if anything goes in between the cable and the gear. thanks

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
A pic of all your parts laid out would help.

My 87 4x4 with cc, the end of the cable with the square center cable is held in with a clip...the piece it clips into has the 2wire plug for the CC and also the aluminum piece that goes into the tcase that the plastic gear goes on the inside of.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
That uit is called a VSS, Vehicle Speed Sensor
and it is used for more than cruise control.

It is one of the signal sources to the computer to signal for Auto trans shift points

and torque converter clutch lockup (or release)

And is also the signal to the computer for the speed limiter (if equipped)
on EEC4 managed fords.

And it's signal is also provided to the Electronic shift control module if you have an electrically shifted Transfer case.

AD

Last edited:

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yes, VSS forgot what it was called and dang it does alot! Since I converted to manual trans, if I took off my CC (not that I would....lol) would I still need it?

blue83ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What you just described is exactly what i have. But I don't have any peice that would go from the cable (center part) to the gear. there's about a 1inch+ gap between the two.

blue83ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I figured it out :icon_bounceblue: I looked on one of my brothers parts mustangs and it luckily it has crusie control and it still had the end on it. On mine the plastic piece with the electric plug on it and the aluminum piece came apart and the short extension of the cable was missing. so i just used the complete part from the mustang and switched the speedo gear. (just don't tell my brother,:secret: but luckily he hates rangers so he won't read this) Now i just need to figure out how to hook up the neutral switch. (A4LD plug to a c4 transmission :icon_confused: )

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals