• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

60 Pin Plug On Computer

Flat Toy

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/2.5
Transmission
Automatic
I got my 86 BII about 18 months ago. It had been stolen from the in laws car lot about 6 years before that and the fuel pump relay came apart and shorted out and burned the wires in the right fender area.
Anyway I built a new sign for the car lot in trade for this Bronco and after several months of repairing wires and eventually replacing the computer I had it running. About 2 months ago it came home and became a DD.
Since then it has run like new for the most part but it will randomly start to run rough. Some times it felt like it was not getting gas and some times it seamed to be flooding out at low RPM.
Hooked up a high pressure fuel gauge and drove with it taped to the hood for a week or so and did find what seemed like a high pressure pump bad. Replaced that but problem still was there.
The low presser pump in the tank froze up and it did not run at all, replaced it but engine still would not run right.
No counting the sensors and relays I changed with no effect. Then it hit me. As long as there was only the driver in the car it very seldom acted up. As long as somebody was in the passenger seat it ran bad about every time.
The only thing on that side is the inertia SW. and the computer.
I pulled the computer off of the kick panel and with the engine running used a pair of pliers to move each wire in the plug. Found pin 59 was loose and as soon as I touched it the eng. ran bad. Pulled the plug off the computer and took the plug apart and found about 10 of the metal sleeves had spread apart and were not making constant contact with the pins of the computer.
Closed up all the sleaves and installed the computer and went for a ride. Had my son move the wires around and there were no problems.
I thought I would throw this out there. Somebody else might be having this problem and not think to look at this plug.

Pulled the red spacer out

Closed up the sleaves on all the wires. I have a tool for pulling the wire out but I could not find it.

Last edited:

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Solid thread and information!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals