• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

trannys for 4x4 v8 swap

Needsav8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, I am wondering if any of you have done a swap with a c6, c4/5 or AOD, and what transfer case did you use?

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
I used a C-6 (out of a 84 F-150). Advance Adapters adapter to Dana 20 case (out of a 71 Bronco). if you go with a c-6 (which is a hp pig) make sure it is the correct one, the BB C-6 wont bolt up. Make sure its the Windsor bell housing and its the 31 spline out put shaft (4x4). I had to shorten the output shaft about an inch for the new spud shaft for the Dana 20 (came with the adapter). I used an early Bronco transfer case mount for my mount (saddle mount). B&M Torque Master torque converter.

If I were to do it again, I would find a C-4 and build it up and use it. The C-6 is tough, but takes a lot to spin it.

Needsav8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks. I have a c6 in my f250 and if the motor isn't warmed up enough it will die if you put it in gear. I'm thinking about trying to find a c5 in a 4x4 and use the parts from my c4 (I have one out of a ltd) to boild it. But the c5 are rare.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
today....my first choice would be a gm 6.0 and 4l80 into a 241 t case.

easiest system to get cost effectively with usable miles and cost effective power.

if you want a ford though, and an automatic. i would have to say an aod with a lentech vb or at least a be kit with a jeep 208 t case....or a 4r70w with a jeep 208 case.

those would be my primes.

from there it goes.

Needsav8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I'm wanting to stay ford in a ford product. If I had a chev I would use a chevy motor and trans, my parents have a 93 chevy suburban with 230000 miles on the original motor, it as never been rebuilt, they are bulletproof. But I'm thinking AOD. Does anyone know if any 4x4 fords came with an AOD? I know they used a AODE in the 92-96 trucks, maybe if I could get a trans from a 88-91 it would be an AOD. I do have two AOD's sitting around I could use If I got a transfer case and adaptor for one.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
you want an 89 or newer case. most trucks with a 302 came with an aod. some say the 300 six did not come with an aod, but they most certainly did...

though post 88 the e4od was the standard on the 250 and up and the c6 was an option. most think it was the other way around as well...

i dont remember seeing any 4x4 aod's till after 84, and there were a few different extension housings as well early on...there were like 15-20 trans options a few different years or something ridiculous like that in the 80's and that is why there is so much bad info.

the issue here is the window for a 4x4 is small from 89-93, but the earlier 4x4 shafts and extension housings can be used. converting a 2wd to 4wd is pretty easy.

the suck here though is the aod is a hydro trans, so the b.e. controls re-cal kit is a must do if you do not want to pop for lentech parts. with efi it is pretty easy to hook up the throttle valve, otherwise lentech has some great options if your pushing over 300 hp.

personally, i would go with an explorer setup and a 44 series manual case.

you want a 98 or newer 4r70w trans if possible with a 96 explorer eec setup. but the later stuff is fine, just for sure have to tune out the pats and live with the later fuels systems.. the 44 series t case if you want part time 4x4 or just run the awd case if your just cruising.

the tunability of the eec5 and its natural 4r70w counterpart is a pretty nice package with room to grow.

Needsav8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I want to do a carbed motor, so I will probably use an AOD. I will look for a 89-93 truck then. Thanks for the input.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals