• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

can u guys tell me about 2.9 v6's

85rx7_93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ya justin as far as exhaust right now its got all new stock exhaust with cats and i think its extremely restricting since its wisper quiet. im planning on getting a set of pacesetter headers and runnign their y-pipe to a flowmaster 40 and then out to the back with the stock 1 7/8" pipe because i dont want to modd it a whole lot and dont want it rediculously loud or to loose too much back pressure i just wwant a nice rumble with a little added power

my buddy (broughton88) had a 88 2.9 with pacesetters and he said he loved them

besides the b2 is just my grocery getter/little lift and tires for looks lol im not tryin to build a race car here besides my rx7 is almost done and that thing is going to scare the **** out of me i just know it.. :) :)

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9l FI, 2.9L FI, 2.8L
Transmission
Manual
I have over 300k on my '89, and I've been pretty happy with the truck.

I added a 4.0 radiator, but I'd never use a 160 degree thermostat. It'll run rich, and in your neighborhood, it could really give you problems in the winter.

I've been real happy with pacesetter headers.

I'd also be sure to use 0W-30 motor oil in the winter, and switch to synthetic lubes in the diffs and trans..

I have 3.73 gears, and 29" tires are about the optimum size for performance and mileage.

I average 20 mpg, even towing a trailer or boat, and running bare, have gotten up to 25 mpg (with 5" of lift) on long runs in the summer.

If you're planning on keeping the truck and doing any more than just driving it, I'd seriously suggest an 8.8, and if you really want the larger tires, then pop for a gear swap and an 8.8.
I dont have a cat, I have a hiflow intake, and headers and the stock S.D. ecu.... I need the little bit of rich I get from running a little colder then stock. Atleast untill I convert it to M.A.F. And I have no issues in cold weather.
But this 30w thing.... why run straight 30w?

EDIT: To all the 2.9l haters.... We drive the same rigs... its our choice what to run...
P.S. I would take a 5.0l H.O. over a 4.0l any day of the week.. But my 2.9l runs awsome.

Last edited:

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
EDIT: To all the 2.9l haters.... We drive the same rigs... its our choice what to run...
P.S. I would take a 5.0l H.O. over a 4.0l any day of the week.. But my 2.9l runs awesome.
Screw the 5.0 in a 4x4. It has nowhere near the low-end yank that a 4.0 ohv has. A mildly built 4.0 is all the motor you would ever need in a Bronco II.

I think it's funny some of you think a 2.9 is slow, my old '90 Ranger was pretty quick, I could get a chirp out of third every time with 3.73's and 235's... It wasn't completely stock, but I didn't spend much money either. Stock exhaust manifolds and cat, with a better (but cheap) muffler, ported the throttle body, cleaned up what I could on the intake with a dremel, cut the bottom of the airbox off, and replaced stuff like the tps, coil, plugs (copper) and what not. I loved the way that thing sounded. Idled like a truck should, sounded like a truck until 3000rpm, then it sounded like an import, lol.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9l FI, 2.9L FI, 2.8L
Transmission
Manual
Screw the 5.0 in a 4x4. It has nowhere near the low-end yank that a 4.0 ohv has. A mildly built 4.0 is all the motor you would ever need in a Bronco II.

I think it's funny some of you think a 2.9 is slow, my old '90 Ranger was pretty quick, I could get a chirp out of third every time with 3.73's and 235's... It wasn't completely stock, but I didn't spend much money either. Stock exhaust manifolds and cat, with a better (but cheap) muffler, ported the throttle body, cleaned up what I could on the intake with a dremel, cut the bottom of the airbox off, and replaced stuff like the tps, coil, plugs (copper) and what not. I loved the way that thing sounded. Idled like a truck should, sounded like a truck until 3000rpm, then it sounded like an import, lol.
5.0l H.O.= 300ftlbs..... What was the 4.0L again?????

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i'll take a 4.0 b2 over a 5.0 b2, i've been in both... dd/ww style. mine and a buddies(he has the 5.0fi from a fox body mustang).. and for what i do with mine, i'd rather have the 4.0

i'm not saying the 4.0 has more power or torque, but let's be serious... i know the more the better... yada yada yada, but for the ease of the swap compared to the pain of swap for the 5.0, the economy of it, the difference in price of the swap...

the 4.0 is more than enough for the b2 size.. hell the 2.9 has enough for the b2. but the 4.0 is like a perfect combo in the b2.

85rx7_93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey for 177 cubic inch v6 this things a little snappy thats true and i would never go 5.0 in any rbv just because there is no room to work on it later, 4.0 is fine. but a rotary swap......now thats another story...:D that would be ****ing sweet, 8k rpms stock but it could be ported and rebuilt and you could turn 9-10k rpms shit even a turbo haha you could cruise comfortable at 120 with 33's lol. the only problem would be starting in the winter...rotarys never start below 20 degrees haha a guy i know put a 13b fuel injected rotary rx7 engine in a suzuki samurai for wheeling and that thing was ****ing nuts hes got videos on youtube and there insane in the membraine i tell ya haha

Last edited:

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
5.0l H.O.= 300ftlbs..... What was the 4.0L again?????
5.0 has 300ft. lbs, 4.0 has 225ft. lbs. These are peak numbers though. While I do not have the sheets here to prove it, the 4.0 does in fact make more torque at low rpm than the 5.0, and is a much better motor for turning bigger tires. Think about it, a 4.0 can't even rev past 4500rpm and make any sort of power at all, it's got the powerband of a diesel. I would never swap to a 5.0 in a 4wd because the 4.0 simply makes more power where you are going to be using it the most. In a 2wd, that's a different story, the 5.0 make a LOT more power than a 4.0 when wound up, and the aftermarket is exponentially larger.

I am however, considering a 2.3t swap, but that is a whole different can of worms... That engine also revs like a tractor, sounds like one, too.

rusty70f100

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
To add to my previous comments, you can bet that if the 2.9L in my B2 ever stops working, or starts ticking, or the mileage goes down, or whatever, that it'll be getting replaced with a 4.0L. That extra power and torque is tempting.

Once I fix my project 4.0L, I'll probably put that in. That's on hold for now though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals