• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Convert a 1997 Mazda B4000 (Ranger XLT) to CREE LED Headlights?

cobrajocky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000SE
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it so you have to fix it.
I've got a 1997 Mazda B-4000 ExtraCab 2WD, same as a same year Ranger XLT and I've noticed a lot of ads for CREE LED Headlight conversion kits on EBay for nearly every model car and truck from 2000 on, but nothing for a 1997 -1999 Mazda/Ford B series/Ranger.

I'm just posting this one on EBay as an example, it does include Fords and Rangers, but from 2003 and newer.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262947134797?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Has anyone done this conversion to an older sub 2000 Ranger/Mazda B series and "how-to" or what pit-falls to know about, like a higher current drain than the stock halogen bulbs?

Any links are appreciated!

Thanks

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Your '97 should have "9007" headlamp bulbs, that kit says it replaces "9003" or "HB2" bulbs... So no workie.

To answer your other question, LEDs should draw less current than the stock halogen bulbs, however their light color tends to be too much on the bluish side (the one you linked says 6000°K, which is very bluish). This makes for a lot more added glare and reduced color rendition than you'd have if you simply added a set of (good quality) 55W halogen auxiliary driving lights to your truck (or if your headlamp lenses have hazed over, polishing them clear again would bring a huge improvement too).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals