• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Exhaust? Heater? Question

Huntjunkie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I just picked up a 1989 Bronco II automatic 2wd with the standard 2.9L in it. You will see quick I am a novice who bought this on a whim and sort of knows a little about cars. Bought her for 400.00 bucks thinking it would be my first engine rebuild, but it turns out she only needed an ECM and she actually runs. My question is about some missing parts. The entire air intake system is missing, but I know how to fix that. My question is below the intake and alternator there is the exhaust and it looks like a hose or something should be there. What is it and where does it go? Can I drive her without it? I will post a couple of pictures. Tried to upload several pics but could only get one to take. It is just below the alternator.

Attachments

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It goes to a T-junction on the factory intake duct. There is a thermal vacuum valve on top of the stock box that would work a flapper to open or close that duct. It's for hot air intake during cold start at cold temps. I haven't missed it in four years.

Huntjunkie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks. Do I need to cap it or just leave it alone?

Huntjunkie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
That works for me I saw a on here where someone stuck a K&N ru-1460 straight to the intake and thought I would just do the same. Not sure if it will pass emissions though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huntjunkie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Update! Stop starting again so I put in new ignition relay, fuel relay, TPS, and ignition coil. Still no luck. I took out the new reman ECM and had it tested, it was bad. Put in new ECM and....,https://vimeo.com/132752516. Not sure if the video will work, but she cranks right up with no hesitation. My clue was a lot of posts about the fuel pump running non stop when you turn the key on without cranking, instead of running a second or so and shutting off. Lots of folks say that is the ECM going bad.

Last edited:

Huntjunkie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I am going to try and post another video to see if someone can tell me what the rhythmic chirping/squeaking sound is.
https://vimeo.com/132753472k

Huntjunkie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Any tips on how to post video?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals