• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'92 overheated, now it won't start. Any ideas?

dirkr

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
1992 3.0 with an automatic. It overheated. The water was empty. Bone dry. Just bought the truck, so no idea if it was already like that. Ran great util just now. Hadn't had time yet to give it the once over. Rookie mistake.

The truck overheated, and wouldn't start for about two hours, then it DID start, but sputtered like it's not firing on all cylinders. Well, it ran for about half an hour, and now won't start at all. It is getting fuel and spark, so that's not it.

Think I blew a head gasket? Could it have been anything else that I might be overlooking? Yes, it has coolant now, and I'm not seeing any grey water or oil, but it only ran for half an hour. Could I have fouled plugs? I'm praying it's something that simple.

-Dirk R

PS: If this engine is toast, is going to be more worth my time to just go ahead and swap in a 5.0 out of a Crown Vic or Mustang, or just replace the stocker?

-Dirk R

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i would plan for the worst.

ill assume the engine is turning over...so it isnt seized. if so, a compression test is in order. most engines will run with 1 or 2 jugs cold...so i dont see a blown head gasket (or very possibly a cracked head) causeing a no-start in your case....i think something else is up.

how do you know it has good fuel supply? did you pressure test it at the rail?

dirkr

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I know there's fuel. I can smell it quite well at the exhaust, and I've even tried throwing some ether into the intake to see if it'll kick over with that. No luck. Fire's there, did the ol' bridge to the frame spark trick.

Would an overheat lead to a blown computer or coil? The odd thing is that when it did run, it stumbled alot at low RPM, but smothed out to just about normal once it was over about 1100 or so.

-Dirk R

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
overheating the engine wont effect the electronics.

if you have raw fuel coming out of the tailpipe, perhaps the engine is flooded (failed puel pressure regulator perhaps). pull a plug and see if its wet.

i would do a KOEO test and see what the PCM is seeing. theres details on how to run the test and pull codes in the tech library.

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
overheating the engine wont effect the electronics.

if you have raw fuel coming out of the tailpipe, perhaps the engine is flooded (failed puel pressure regulator perhaps). pull a plug and see if its wet.

i would do a KOEO test and see what the PCM is seeing. theres details on how to run the test and pull codes in the tech library.
Probably wont affect the electronics....but remember the TFI sheds it heat thru the dizzy body.

dirkr

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I've been out of this game for a while, and I've never worked on a 3.0 before. We'll see how this goes . . . .

So it could have screwed my dist? I know I'm getting spark at at least 3 of the plugs, but could it have offset my timing? I'll be getting truck back to my house in a couple hours.

Thanks for the pointers, btw? Any other ideas?

-Dirk R

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i guess thats true, it could have wiped out the TFI (mounted on the dizzy)...but not the coil and/or PCM.

most auto parts stores can test the TFI module for you.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals