• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Intake - F-150 or Mustang?

sitewerx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
OK, I thought we were going the right direction, have a 94 F-150 with a 5.0 EFI and AOD transmission for a donor vehicle. Discovered the intake is too tall for the hood, and were considering buying a cowl hood to make up the difference. Now I have been offered a good deal to swap some of the unused ranger parts for a mustang upper and lower intake. I would greatly appreciate it for some expert opinions on what I am getting myself into if I use the Mustang intake instead. What do I need to make sure I have with it, will I still be a able to use everything else off the F-150, etc. I am just at a loss with all the info out here and I am looking for assistance as my son has a very limited budget (which he has already completely overshot) and I can't afford to make mistakes. I just need to know the best way to proceed, the Pros and Cons of either direction. I have the motor mounted, but I haven't put the intake on yet and need to make a decision. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!:icon_welder:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
The mustang (or 5.0 explorer) intake will work, grab both the upper and lower, fuel rails, injectors, all sensors, and the ecu and harness with the maf if you can get that...

SVT

sitewerx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks RangerSVT for the response. OK, so I traded the 5 speed tranny out of the ranger for a complete upper and lower Mustang intake. It is supposed to be a GT setup, but I hate to admit I really don't know how you would tell for sure. Anyway, we installed the lower intake and we were putting on the upper when we discovered that it points right into the air conditioning housing! So I looked and found an Explorer 90 degree intake elbow that will put the throttle body pointing away from the air conditioning housing. I hope that fixes that issue, I guess I will find out when it gets here. Next issue, the upper intake won't clear the oil filler cap on the valve cover. Looks like I will have to change the valve covers also. We seem to be turning the F-150 setup into a Mustang one piece at a time. So now, on to the wiring harness. I have everything from the F-150 and really don't want to spend more money on more parts, but the Mustang intake doesn't have half the connections the F-150 intake has. So if I switch the wiring harnesses on the intake, how is all this going to match up? Especially now when I am picking up information that the mustang firing order is different? So if I switch the harness and computer then I create a new issue? I have to admit this is all becoming very frustrating. I just want to get my son's truck put back together and running! I could use any advise you experts may have!
Thanks!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The firing order hinges on the camshaft, if you have to go to a different harness I am not sure how that would play out.

Aluminum Mustang valve covers are pretty cheap at JY's, I almost got a pair for $20 until it clicked that they didn't have a hole for my PCV (which my carbureted setup requires)

Aside from absorbing that most people use Mustang harnesses I can't really help you much with the electrical.

Don't get frustrated by it, it is just a big puzzle... and people do puzzles for fun right? :icon_thumby:

Mine started out a Crown Victoria but ended up more Explorer with just a dabb of Mustang in a few places :D

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I highly suggest swapping in an HO cam from a 302 or from any 351w. Once thats done, drop on a mustang harness and you're good to go...

SVT

sitewerx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
OK - Moneys gone - Can I use existing harness?

OK, lets say the funds are pretty dried up and need to try to use the harness and computer I have. What are the ramifications of doing that? If I can get wiring diagrams for the harness, shouldn't I be able to use the F-150 harness since I have all of that complete? The only thing I changed was the intake from the F-150 to the Mustang. My son want's to pull it in a year or so to rebuild the motor, so we are really trying to get this wrapped up for now so he can have his truck back. Thanks again for all the help and advice, it is appreciated!

TNT6751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
wiring harrness

ive found that if you go to painlesswireing.com the can do it cheap. and if u use the stock on a diff motor it wont read the sensors correctly and will not work. if i am wrong some one plz correct me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals