• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

oil pressure issue

Baby Raptor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, first off, j haven't researched this yet, I am as soon as I posted this, I figured it wouldn't hurt to do it..

Alright, so my '93 ranger has an issue..the oil pressure gauge drops to 0 when my engine is warmed up and my rpms are bellow 1500. This is the only time it happens...

My buddies and I got it narrowed down to either the sensor is faulty, the hose/pump is clogged or my cambearing are about to go..

Anybody have a clue What it could really be?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ford uses an oil pressure "switch", less than 7psi = off, above 7psi = on

That's why a Ford oil pressure gauge doesn't vary from cold/hot oil or low/high RPM.

If engine doesn't "tick" when gauge is at 0 then yes, replace the "sender", if your engine does show signs of low pressure then check filter first.

There is a conversion you can do to make a Ford gauge a real time oil pressure gauge.
It involves jumping a resistor on the backside of the dash and installing a real sending unit, vs a factory switch unit.

Google: ford oil pressure conversion

Baby Raptor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, thanks....there is no ticking and I have replaced the filter and did a full oil change ...so j should replace the sender? The oil pressure sensor is brand new from when I rebuilt the engine from the block up, about a month ago

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
With no ticking oil pressure should be fine.

If switch(sender) is new I would check the wire, I believe it is a white/red wire.
Remove connector from switch and ground this wire with a jumper wire.
Turn on key, but don't start engine, oil gauge should go up and read "normal", remove jumper wire and gauge should go back to 0.
If this happens wire is good, switch is bad or the wrong one, since it is new.

If you can get to it safely with engine running you can check the switch with an OHM meter, with engine off you should have infinity OHMs(no connection) from switch connection to ground.
With engine on, and oil pressure, you should have 0 OHMs(direct connection)

Never use teflon tape on any 1 wire sensors, 1 wire means the threads are the ground, teflon tape can prevent a good ground.
Most 1 wire sensors come with sealant tape on the upper threads, lower threads are left bare to get a good ground.

Last edited:

Baby Raptor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Alright thanks....this should be fun, since the switch is way down in the back of the engine haha.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals