• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hydrogen fuel cell technology news and updates

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
this is a sore subject here. some will tell you not to waist your money. others will tell you it works. I think there are 2 guys having success with a home build kit.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
BDAB, the question is about hydrogen FUEL CELLS. Not the HHO crap.

There are two guys who THINK they have success with the latter, but both refuse proper methodology. There is also one external test (Popular Mechanics) that shows a distinct null test, using less-than-ideal but much better methodology.

But hydrogen fuel cells are essentially batteries, and they do work as such.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
huh, first time I clicked it it came up with a site to buy the HHO crap....... weird ....... must have clicked something before the page finished loading.

although HHO is not necessarily crap. just doesn't work with a small gas engine with an already over taxed electrical system......... they do work on 12.5L or bigger diesel engines with 300 amp alternators where even 5/10 mpg gain saves thousands in fuel costs. I have seen the difference in mileage in one of my owner operator's truck. I told him not to waist his money and his fuel bill has dropped.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
And you can rule out a change in driving habits? How? If he knows it's installed, the "test" is biased toward confirmation.

There are some potential issues for Diesel engines by raising the cylinder temperatures; that's conventional thermodynamics, though it doesn't work for gasoline because it makes it detonate if it did anything. It has nothing to with the size of the electrical system, and the physics claims made there are exactly equivalent to flying trucks.

Last edited:

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
well ....... I can't by talking to him. but 1 month before he installed it we did a compter drop on it to get engine run times, rpm/speed data, and idle times ...... stuff needed for fuel tax.......... I can drop his computer again and compare. I could do a blind test and install one on a truck and not tell the driver it is there. but 1/2 mile per gallon increase is tough by changing driving habbits......... 1/2 mpg is a huge increase on an engine that gets a consistent 6.5 mpg

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hetsutu,

Don't be discouraged. Everyone on this thread has seen the "Run your car on Water" adds that charge $29.95 plus shipping for a book on how to build your own hydrogen fuel cell and get more mileage. It's a tinkerer's guide to spending a Saturday afternoon on a project. As many on this site suggest is lacks scientific methodology and the engineering is questionable. There are some interesting youtube things out there - but you've probably seen them.

The hdaily.com site is a real Hydrogen Fuel Cell site that is talking about pretty high $ engineering. I notice an announcement on the site that mentions Honda is going to produce cars for sale next year that are going to cost a smooth million each to produce. (How many years can you spread those montly payments out to?) It's exactly the kind of thing that would be good to discuss on this part of the TRS site. There must be a way to understand hydrogen fuel at the "shadetree" level and realize some benefit - even if you have to convert to all hydrogen fuel, electrics, etc. I'd like to discuss the topic more. It won't be a money saving device - hobbies never are - but if that is the way you want to go let's talk.

James Denton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
HHO works if you build one you can see for your self.I built 3 an they still working.

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
HHO works if you build one you can see for your self.I built 3 an they still working.
Meh, we built one and put on a Ford Escape. Couldn't tell a nickel's worth of difference in MPG or anything else. All we noticed was a big jar of brownish goo after a while. In all fairness adding a few extra lbs of air pressure to your tires will give you better results than HHO.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Meh, we built one and put on a Ford Escape. Couldn't tell a nickel's worth of difference in MPG or anything else. All we noticed was a big jar of brownish goo after a while. In all fairness adding a few extra lbs of air pressure to your tires will give you better results than HHO.
That's because it's impossible... We've argued about it not working forever, It's good to see someone who tried it and can actually admit the real results!

James Denton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
You need to build one that will work then--you need to try again
http://smacksboosters.110mb.com

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
You need to build one that will work then--you need to try again
http://smacksboosters.110mb.com
No we don't. One of my buddies went to a class to learn how to build the things. We went to great pains to do this correctly. It just doesn't live up to the hype. If you think yours works then fine. I am glad you're happy with it. But in all honesty we tested, tested and tested until we got a setup that was stable and did create a good deal of hydrogen. HOWEVER the end result was far from a significant improvement in either MPG or horsepower. We used the highest quality materials available. We had surgical stainless steel, the purest distilled water we could get, had relays to handle the amperage. It simply did not work as advertised. End of story. Scam over.

beaujt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
ya know thats interesting cause i was just talking with a guy who's got a hydrogen cell on his chevy 1/2 ton with the vortec 350... said his mileage jumped about 1-2 mpg after he put it in... but i don't know anything about em, just been think i ought to try it and see if it does help cause i'd love to get 1-2 more outta my truck.

James Denton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
You buy into this? Really? Did you actually read the website? It makes me want to bang my head on a wall. It's the polar opposite of legitimate research and development.
All I can say is I have built 3 units and they all still running great with 3 to 4 more miles to the gallon--of gas--When you drive a van like I do everyday to work and get 13 miles to the gallon 16-or 17 is alot better don't you think.-At $65.00 each unit,they all are on carburetor trucks and vans when gas was high didn't take long to get my money back.So you can belive what you want-I'm just telling it like it is.I going to build some more.You can belive or not that's up to you.Everyone got there on thing about HHO AND i GOT MINE-iT WORKS FOR ME :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals