• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'97 clutch master cyl swap

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
Has anyone swapped to an earlier (larger bore) master cylinder on a later truck? The '95 and later trucks have to master mounted in a cast bracket, not bolted to the firewall. (curing a previous problem)

They look like they have the rod on a similar angle, just hoping the rod will pass through the hole in the cast bracket.

I'm aware '92 and older trucks had a 3/4" master cylinder, and also that some non- 4.0 '88 to '91 trucks had a 7/8" master.

Reason for this is my master is 5/8 bore, and it's not giving my 3/4" slave (from '84 Ranger) enough travel. I can adjust it enough to move the truck, but it either slips, or won't go into gear, depending where I set it. I also have a slave from a 280Z, but it's also 3/4" bore.

Anyone know of a 5/8 or smaller slave? I've exhausted most any Datsun/Nissan/Honda/Toyota applications.

Thanks for any help.

BTW, its a 5.0 H.O. ('92) with a T-5 in a '97 2wd Ranger Supercab.

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
On RPS, some one used an 11/16" bore slave cylinder for his 5.0 swap, and it worked perfectly, unfortunatly, I can't seem to find the page again, since he also gave the part# from NAPA auto.

Here's two I found

http://www.napaonline.com/NOLPPSE/(S(eh12va55wf0voo45pvuu5p3d))/Detail.aspx?R=NNC37496_0216700944

http://www.napaonline.com/NOLPPSE/(S(eh12va55wf0voo45pvuu5p3d))/Detail.aspx?R=NNC37681_0216699059

This one is as small as it gets

http://www.napaonline.com/NOLPPSE/(S(eh12va55wf0voo45pvuu5p3d))/Detail.aspx?R=NNC37362_0226060501

As far as throw goes, it won't say. As long as it opens around 1 1/4", it should be enough to disengage the clutch and fully re-engage it.

Last edited:

Teddyzee

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
Cool, thanks!

Frank ZX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 1997
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Teddy,I had the same problem.I had to use a longer threaded rod,about 10"long.Push the piston all the way into the bore,and preload the throw out bearing.Hope this helps.I also have a trick for bleeding the master without touching the bleeder screw.If you need me to explane,LMK

Teddyzee

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Teddy,I had the same problem.I had to use a longer threaded rod,about 10"long.Push the piston all the way into the bore,and preload the throw out bearing.Hope this helps.I also have a trick for bleeding the master without touching the bleeder screw.If you need me to explane,LMK
I have the threaded rod long enough to keep the clutch slipping with the my foot off the pedal, so I'm good that way.

Pass on any bleeding tips. That was fun, too.

Frank ZX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 1997
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have the threaded rod long enough to keep the clutch slipping with the my foot off the pedal, so I'm good that way.

Fill the resivor to the full mark,but leave the cap off.Hit the clutch pedal with the side of your fist,and watch bubbles come to the surface.10 min.later you have a full pedal,and no mess.Works on brakes,and motorcycles too.:icon_thumby:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Teddy, what is the stroke on your master cylinder? It really is just a math problem to come up with the required bore on the slave to get the 1 1/4" travel. Anybody out there know how much the clutch is depressed by the throwout bearing or is recomemded? My Mustang shop manual is out on loan. It also tells what the pre-load should be.
Dave

Frank ZX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 1997
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual

I have a spare slave cyl,if you need it.
Also,call TP to see if there cyl is anything special.That is where I origionally got mine from.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals